Cherry tree help

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
fruitfly
Tom Good
Tom Good

Cherry tree help

Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 pm

It's been about a week since I last had a look at the Stella cherry and there are lots of tiny black insects on many leaves and fruit stalks, the leaves are all scrunched up aswell - what happened, what can I do - will they affect the fruit?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cherry tree help

Thu May 11, 2017 5:29 pm

it is under aphid attack, blackfly, possibly greenfly in the scrunched up leaves, they will affect the tree eventually how you deal with it is up to you, I am organic, I would probably hang a couple of fat balls in the trees to attract tits, they will harvest aphids while they wait for the fat, remove some by hand if possible without damaging the fruit, you could use a spray either of pyrethrum or neem in the evening after the bees are quiet. I try to make sure there are things in flower near my trees that will attract beneficial insects, spraying the tree with a foliar feed of seaweed would also benefit the health of the tree, if it is newly planted, it could be thirsty that would weaken the tree

Weedo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Thu May 11, 2017 10:30 pm

You could try spraying with a mix of diswashing detergent, water and a little light cooking oil - the detergents coat the aphid and suffocate the critters by blocking the spiracles - works on aphids on roses. Downside is that you need to be doing this nearly daily until the population crashes. Try 1 tablespoon of dishwashing detergent, 1 litre of water and 2 teaspoons light cooking oil - need to shake frequently to keep it mixed
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever be seen - (Sun Tzu 600BC)

fruitfly
Tom Good
Tom Good

Fri May 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I couldn't help but cut off some of the worst of the infested crumpled leaves and put them in the bin that I was going to take out that evening, which I completely forgot about. So, next morning the bin was swarming with these little things, yuck! I think I'll use an insecticide to get rid of the worst and then try something organic to keep them down or from coming back.

Return to “Fruit and Nuts”