Anyone growing Satsumas?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
D-Grower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Anyone growing Satsumas?

Been looking to get Satsuma growing on my new homestead. Hear that it does grow true from seed. Does anyone have any experience with actually growing one out to get good fruit? If so please share!

Many things to trade etc if I can find one within the States.

Thanks! DG

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone growing Satsumas?

Yes, I grew a satsuma from seed a few years ago, just for fun.
It grew fairly fast and took about 5 years to start fruiting, although it flowered sporadically before that. However it was grown in my greenhouse as it wouldn't have survived outside here, so ought to be more at home where you live.
I don't know what a grafted satsuma tree is like but mine had some very vicious thorns, which made picking the fruit "interesting".
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if you could use the satsuma trees from seed as a rootstock and graft other citrus onto it, you could look for scions from other people that way for thornless fruit maybe

D-Grower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Odsox! I assume good or at least acceptable taste quality? Cool to have another confirmed account of a citrus good from seed. Others have told me Satsuma grows good fruit from seed too assuming that's your experience too.

Yes Digger I'd figure grafting an older mature Satsuma scion onto a good rootstock might avoid their seedling and young tree thorns. Think I've heard with age they won't produce as many thorns as the first few years. Not sure though myself.

DG

Rockalbert
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Would you please specify what exactly temperature they need to grow faster?
sheepadoodlepeekapoocannabinoidhyperemesissyndromecleidocranialdysplasia

infantigo
Last edited by Rockalbert on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rockalbert wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm Would you please specify what exactly temperature they need to grow faster?
Not really. It grew in my big unheated greenhouse where winter temperatures dropped to around 3 - 5 degrees C and mid summer temperatures up to 30 C.
It had to put up with whatever temperature the other plants needed as the satsuma was only an experiment.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.