Have I got any morels?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Have I got any morels?

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Anybody care to confirm if this is a morel?

According the Richard Mabey's book 'Food For Free' (which is the only thing I have with fungi in it), I'm pretty sure it is, but it does warn of a poisonous false morel.

Anyway, I just tried a small bit of it to see what happens - if you don't hear from me after a few days, consider sending flowers.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 pm

Looks like a morel to me

You jammy jammy person

http://images.google.co.uk/images?clien ... rch+Images
Rohen the Dobermann owner

Muddypause

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:13 am

Good-oh. I feel pretty confident of the identification (though have been reading dire warnings about the false morel), so think a mushroom omlet might be in order for breakfast.

A bit of Googling finds that it is the second most prized fungi after truffles.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:57 am

Have you looked at this site with photos of both types of morel?

http://morelsandmore.com/morelpics.htm

I think the false morel doesn't really look much like a morel!

I also think you are very lucky and I BET you are not going to tell anyone where you found them!

Muddypause

Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:08 am

Having now seen some pics., I'm sure it's not a false morel, but even that link, M3, doesn't altogether clarify things: "Always remember that the cap has a nice cone shape" - I'd say this one was not at all cone shaped.

Anyway, 'tis only a tiddler, and it's now going to get cooked.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:06 pm

I hope you come back to tell us what it was like. :shock: Where's Andy anyway, as he's pretty good at mushroom ID.

Muddypause

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:40 pm

Well, I'm a bit in two minds about it. I can't say I'd go very far out of my way to have some more of it. It was certainly mushroomy, but I think that little one was a bit overpowered by the omlet I put it in. I'd need to try more before I could say much more about it.

It may well have suffered from being left a while before I ate it - probably a day and a half sitting on a tea towel in a warm kitchen while I tried to find out what it was.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morels

Tue May 02, 2006 10:06 am

I think the false Morel does look quite different and it seems like you're not dead Stew so it must be a Morel.
I've still not found any in Bristol, what sort of environment was it you found it in, they're a woodland spieces aren't they? I must get looking.

Muddypause

Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 am

Hi Dave,

Most of what I've read on the web says they're a woodland spieces, but I found this one in an open field. I suppose it was quite near some hawthorn bushes, but certainly not woodland. Chalky downland just off the Ridgeway path, much used by cows and dog walkers.

I'll probably be back there soon, so I'll keep me lookenpeepers peeled.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu May 04, 2006 8:20 am

Ah excellent, I might be passing through Oxfordshire this weekend-so a trip up the ridgeway might be in order (time permiting). I've spotted some barn owls up that way before. Looks like I might see the even rarer Muddypause in the future.

Cheezy

Thu May 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Muddy, you have just given me a shock.

I have a mushroom book, and I am always very careful about picking. If there are anything that look like the one I'm going to pick, that are dodgy, I give them a miss.

So when a got FIVE morels growing in MY GARDEN this year I was overjoyed (jumping around like a loon was the pointed comment). The only way I got the wife to join me in my shroom fest was to point out that in the book there was nothing in the poisonous section that looked "like" a morel QED. And that they had come up exactly at the right time

My book clearly several times does stress that the morel MUST be cooked

PS I think I introduced the spores from the bark mulch I bought two years ago. I saw one last year and left it to spore. And sure enough in a direct line from the first one (prevailing wind) I had four more this year over a 2 meter line.

WHOOOHOOO!
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Muddypause

Fri May 12, 2006 12:24 am

Cheezy wrote:So when a got FIVE morels growing in MY GARDEN this year I was overjoyed

Sounds good. I've twice been back to the site I found the first one at, but despite a good hunt around there was not another morel to be found.

My book clearly several times does stress that the morel MUST be cooked

I saw that on one website about them, but others didn't mention it at all, and nor did Food For Free. Maybe Dave or someone can clarify this (I did try a thin sliver of it raw, but detected no ill effects).

Just to confuse things, apparently it is possible to eat the false morel, but it must be cooked and rinsed two or three times before the toxins are rendered safe, and even breathing in the vapour from cooking them can be mildly deadly. Apparently just being in the same room as a false morel can bring on headaches and nausea, yet it seems these things are a delicacy in Scandinavia. It makes you wonder 1) how, and 2) why, anybody would even want to try to find a way of eating something so poisonous.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

Fri May 12, 2006 10:46 am

Mildly deadly? Such a thing exsisits?

I always assumed there wasn't much to do in rural Scandinavia so working out how to eat something posinus probably passed the time

Millymollymandy

Sat May 13, 2006 6:51 am

Where are those posters from Sweden? They have gone quiet! Or have they been eating false morels...... :shock:

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”