Crab apple?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Crab apple?

Hi all,

Is this crab apple? or an ornamental apple? I'm looking to use it in my hedgerow jam, but wanted to confirm first.
Attachments
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG (67.17 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Crab apple?

If you found it in a rural hedgerow I think its probably a crab,another clue,wouldn't an ornamental be grafted (and also not full-sized).Most of the crabs I've seen have been more round,but I dont want to get into another is that fruit round enough thing!

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

no, not hedgerow, it's on a free standing council planted tree, http://bit.ly/bxez8B for a google maps image - it's the skinny one hiding helpfully behind the lamppost. the council did plant the cherry plums I had the other day, so it is a bit possible.

samhall_ogden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've just made jelly from a tree in my garden that had apples just like them on it it isn't one I planted so not sure what it is but it's made a sweetish jelly thats really nice and it's not killed us yet. Oh and the ducks love them.

Ellendra

It may not be technically a "crabapple", but it's definitely in the family, and all the other possibilities are edible. So, go ahead and make your jelly!

wulf

I think it probably is - it looks very similar to the fruit produced by my recently planted Malus sylvestris 'John Downie' (came with three fruits, two of which have now fallen off and one the last of which is being left for ornamental value... looking forward to a harvest next year).

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for your replies. The question was settled by Mrs Mal who said that if I couldn't guarantee it was an edible apple, she wasn't going to eat it or feed it to the Mal Juniors. No point making jam just for me, so I reverted to some Bramleys from next door's tree. Not quite hedgerow, but very tasty all the same.

Marcus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Personally....Id say thats an ornamental crab, theres loads of varites & alot of councils plant them, (swindons one of them) wild crabs look simular but not as pretty, they usually have spots all over them & the leaf edges are serrated & end in a point, as im sure you know they grow in groups like cherries.
Trouble is theres alot of wild apple trees growing which produce smaller fruits & people think they are crab apples due to the size.....crab apples only grow in groups/clusters....like cherries ;-) & trees are usually small (compared to other apple trees)
You could have used it.....ive made jelly from ornamental crab apples, they are easier to get than wild ones sometimes !.