Foraging - is it legal?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Foraging - is it legal?

I don't think there would be anypoint to the coming here as the Isle of Lismore is too small!

The land we have been foraging on is common grazing and the rest we get from the sea which nobody can stop us doing!

Treelover
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 0

so far as i've always understood things, common law, if not the actual law, is that if it's outside your property it's outside your control; in the same way as a neighbour is at liberty to trim overhanging branches from a tree in someone else's garden, what hangs over the wall or fence onto common land or the public highway is common property. whereat one has to be careful about the 'line of boundary' or not picking the pear that's an inch inside the boundary fence!!

Deano
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hi all
can anyone tell me the best beaches for foraging in the N west, and info on shrimp nets,
Complete Novice !!!
many thanks
Deano

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Deano, the John Wright River cottage seafood book has some quite good info on shrimping. I've no tried it myself though!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edible-Seashore ... 0747595313
Hope this helps. : )

apophate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Private property, is paperwork... a legal specter that represents a fictional section of land. Unless you've got a 12 gauge pointed at me- I'm getting those field mushrooms, I'm picking those berries. Don't get me wrong, the small area of land around your house I'll leave alone. This IS your land. The rest of it?, OURS!

Time for us to realize that no one owns land, we are part of the land. It's like the native americans say..

"We don't inherit land from our forefathers, we borrow it from our grandchildren."

Anyone with vast tracts of land, who do nothing bar pillage it for an income, or -slightly better- just leave it alone, whilst people struggle to eat well. In my mind, your either greedy, or very self-ish... lol, you're missing the "sufficient" from the middle!

Expect to see me, broadcasting seed and planting seedling in "your" land, expect to spot me -up your tree- feasting on nuts'n'berries, come rain or shine.

I don't believe your paperwork, I see through the facsard.
Before you enclosed this land, 'twas a gift to all- from God.

["the infinite universe" - to all the people in the church of atheism]

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

apophate wrote:Private property, is paperwork...
Time for us to realize that no one owns land, we are part of the land...
Expect to see me, broadcasting seed and planting seedling in "your" land, expect to spot me -up your tree- feasting on nuts'n'berries, come rain or shine...
I don't believe your paperwork, I see through the facsard.
Much though I agree with some of your sentiments ... expect to see you in court.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

apophate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Not likely, even if I did -out of a deadly mixture of boredom and intrigue- decide to accept their invitation to go to court, I don't see any "community service" in my immediate future.

"you stand accused of planting native trees, strawberry bushes and kale plants on Mr Mike Jones's Paddock. How do you plead."

"I do not plead, nor beg, nor understand your assumption of a lawfully established jurisdiction over me, at this time, instead I challenge your baseless claims, and remind you that I have given up none of my inalienable and natural human rights."

Any system made by the hand of man, can be exploited thereby.
Only nature is ungameable. Our legal system was designed to trick and confuse peasants that couldn't read. Time to evolve.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:iconbiggrin:

I like your spirit, apophate. But this is NOT the way to go.

Your erudite pleading is just that - and would be heard only in a court where, regardless of your logic (or mine, for that matter), it would not be heard - principally because it's a plea to break the law.

Changing the law, rather than breaking it in a "couldn't care less" and cavalier manner, is certainly slower - but much more sure.

Mike

apophate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm not sure we agree on the role of the legal system within our society...

Change the law, you say?

Reform, reform, reform... Why not, it's got us this far. Might as well carry on "rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic."

I don't see any foragers, or small farmers forking out to buy a politician any time soon. Never mind coming up with the money/influence to buy enough nob-winks to get an act changed/ passed.

It's not that I "couldn't care less", I really do care, a lot! That's why throwing a spanner into the cranial cranks of any condescending judges that I ever have the displeasure of standing before, is worth while. Change my actions, how I choose to live my life - all because of some imaginary rule, that they even call "an act"... don't think so.

Where I'm from, we've got a different understanding of trespassing anyway.. guess I was lucky to be born here, I've never had any issues with the police, and I do... explore... quite a bit.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You don't have to agree about the role of the legal system ... it is what it is and no amount of individual disagreement is going to change it. And yes - reform really has got us this far, into a situation in which you and I can discuss, without fear of retribution, what we think of the world in general. It wasn't THAT long ago when we couldn't have done that. It also wasn't that long ago when any forager not on common land would have been hauled up before the beak.

I do realise that you care. What I'm saying is that throwing your spanner in such a manner is pointless - those condescending judges will, condescendingly, apply the law and fine you or, worse, give you community service. They can do no other as things stand, regardless of your rather novel interpretation of the laws of trespass.

There is a need for change. But the history of this country - that's yours as well as mine - dictates that any such change is incremental. Softly, softly, catchee monkey. Get thee to a pressure group, my friend, and begin to exert your influence slowly and LEGALLY. It's the only way to win, and it means convincing enough people of your rectitude rather than sticking the nut directly on landowners.

You know this makes sense. Laws, whether you agree with them or not, are certainly not imaginary.

Mike