Any chamomile experts?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Any chamomile experts?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Was foraging for some chamomile and have collected a fair bit. Thought I'd just double check and came accross for different types, one of which, stinking chamomile, looks to be what I have. Had a bit of a look round but can anyone clarify a few things? Is there an easy to ID it? Also, does the stinking chamomile have the same sleep/relaxing properties...or does it just make you sick and menstruate?!!

Cheers
Bob

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any chamomile experts?

Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Great stuff. I'd suggest looking at this page for a run down of all the chamomiles, a useful site to bookmark too - I use it all the time.

I tend to use all chamomiles for the same jobs. Mind you at this time of year the Lime - Tillia - is in blossom I find that has much better calming qualities if you are having trouble sleeping.

If you have collected a fair bit, I hope you've left a fair bit too? Always pays to only pick what you need especially when you first find a resource that way you can generally head back to the same area year after year and pick what you need. Sorry, not trying to lecture just pass on some common sense knowledge that I learnt the hard way!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

bobby280
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Any chamomile experts?

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:42 am

Brilliant, thanks. I found 3 small patches but I did take it all - thanks for the advice though, will just take a little in future. I have loads of lemon balm in the garden which I think can be helpful too.

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”