complete Novice beach foraging

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Deano
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

complete Novice beach foraging

Hi everyone
Ive got Loads to ask and pick your brains, but for starters could anyone tell me the best beaches for foraging in the North West, and what kind of things i can gather, any info on shrimp nets would be most helpfull, Do you have foraging meet ups so i could tag along?.... Does anyone know where there is fresh water crayfish in the N west also, once saw it on river cottage, looked fab and have always wanted to try .
Thanks all
Deano

Cumbrian
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: complete Novice beach foraging

Hi Deano,
Dunno where you are in North West, I live in West Cumbria, Solway Firth can be good foraging, anywhere near you?

Somnophore
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Re: complete Novice beach foraging

Signal crayfish you are referring to, you have to be able to tellthem apart from the native crayfish as their are massive fines/prison for eating native crayfish.

I also believe you can't trap them without a licence from Defra. You may get some line fishing.