picking rosehips?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

picking rosehips?

I've noticed that lots of people (100-150 people a day) are visiting my rosehip syrup page http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/rosehip_syrup.htm I read somewhere that rosehips should be picked after the first frost (which I don't think many people in Britain have experienced yet). Has anyone tried making rosehip syrup from pre-frost rosehips? Was there any appreciable difference?
Thanks in advance
Jeremy
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

Veggiesauraus
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: picking rosehips?

I wonder if its like freezing sloe before making sloe gin - noticeable difference in flavour - better with ones that have been frozen first and then smashed a bit to let the flavour out - must be some chemical thing :)

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Interesting!. I tried a bit of googling to find out why. It seems that the bitterness is due to procyanidins which are natural antioxidants which the plant produces to deter herbivorous browsing until the fruit is fully ripened and more able to germinate once the stone is passed or falls to the ground. They are usually fully ripe by the time the first frosts appear, the freezing process partially breaks down the chemical bonds and gives the fruit a rounder, more palatable flavour. This would promote better and more efficient seed dispersal.

Scientists are just discovering the benefits of these compounds to prevent cellular disruption and promote cardiac function in humans. (I'm pretty sure my Granny knew this all along as she swore drinking sloe gin was good for you!) I'm sure MKG can add more to this discussion.

Edit: I did find this article which makes interesting autumn reading: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... drugs.html
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have only ever made rose hip syrup pre frost so I cant comment on the difference in flavour. I will happily say that I dont experience any bitterness. We are almost at the end of teh rose hips here so I dont really have the opportuntiy to wait!

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Do they have to come from particular roses?

daz101

The process we're talking about here is known as "bletting" see here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bletting

@sda wild dog roses are the best. The government had children picking 100's of tons of them nationwide during the war due to their massive vitamin C content. Adding fragrant petals of other roses works really well too but dont overdo it.