Foraging in east Cheshire for autumn wine fruit

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
miss_laura
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Foraging in east Cheshire for autumn wine fruit

Hi there!

I am new to the forum and not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Homebrew section :dontknow: So apologies if I've put this in the wrong place!

I live in east Cheshire and have recently discovered a love of hedgerow winemaking. So far, I've got 1 gallon of rosehip wine, 5 gallons of damson wine and 1 gallon of hawthorn all bubbling away ready for next year! I really want to make some more of a different variety, but have become a bit stumped as to what I can actually gather right now! There seems to be bugger all blackberries around here, even where the brambles are rampant the blackberries are few and far between, and where they do sparsely appear they are mostly shrivelled and pink!

I picked the hawthorns and damsons as they are in absolute abundance right now. But I wondered if anyone had any suggestions about what else there is to gather at the moment, particularly in the east Cheshire area? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

L

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Foraging in east Cheshire for autumn wine fruit

Elderberries, if you're quick.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I seem to remember seeing a recipe for homebrew made with acorns years ago. Might have to have a look online to see if it exists of if i imagined it!!

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just checked..its oak leaf wine!!!

z-frog
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rosehip wine you say? I have just been picking a whole lot of them off the new Olympic site in Stratford yesterday (an excellent spot)...What recipe are you using? Would also love to hear about the hawthorn one...
Many thanks!