Himalayan Balsam

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Archanejil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Himalayan Balsam

Hi chaps - have been away for a while, but hopefully now back for a while.

Went out today for my first proper forage in ages and came across a massive patch of the dreaded himalayan balsam. I've been doing a bit of research -- as it turns out, quite a bit of it is edible, including the seeds. I figured it worth a mention as they're really quite almondy (when they're black) and end up being quite more-ish! I've been nomming them most of the evening, though if I can bear to save some, I reckon they'd go nice in biscuits. I do believe I will be hitting the same patch for some flowers to make jam (ha, or knowing me, a messy syrup) with later this week.

Though the caveat of "mind yer eyes" definitely applies when dealing with explosive seed pods...

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Himalayan Balsam

there's heaps of the dam stuff round here - great to hear that it has it's uses - i read somewhere else recently that it's good for the bees too. I'm still sulking cos I found some in my garden this year - bah humbug
At least i know i can eat it although I'm not going to let it go to seed :? can't bring myself to do that no matter how tasty - will go find some across the road instead :roll:

Somnophore
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

I discovered this is large quantities last year but didn't do much with it, think I'll grab plenty of the seeds this year and try and do something with them. They are amazing the way the seed pods ping open.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Be careful - I have a feeling that it's on the Environment Agencys hit list as an invasive weed
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Somnophore
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Yeah it is, hence why it's especially good to eat it.