cray fish recipes wanted

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

cray fish recipes wanted

as soon as the weather improves i shall be going cray fishing and would like some recipes for them i want to use them for a first course at a wild food dinner party i am hosting soon most of my guests have never tried wild food before so i would like to impress them

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: cray fish recipes wanted

recipes i'm not so sure about... but where are you based? in the uk and many parts of europe i think only certain limited types of crayfish can be caught. and even then only at certain times of year.

i've no idea off hand what any of the restrictions are, but it pays to find out if you're unsure....
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

muddy boots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thank you for your reply i am only catching the american signal crayfish and there are no season for them i am based in nottingham and some of the lakes around here are alive with them

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

To my shame (living in Nottinghamshire) I don't know what the county regulations are for taking crayfish - but I do know that there's an action plan for the protection of native crayfish, as they are still hanging on in Notts. That being the case, I'm pretty sure that you would need a licence and they're not given out willy-nilly.

You need to contact the Environment Agency to find out what you have to do.

Mike

EDIT: I've just checked - a licence is needed anywhere in England.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)