Purslane

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Purslane

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:22 am

Is this the same type of purslane I hear about here as a weed:
http://www.azcookbook.com/purslane-sala ... -dressing/

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Purslane

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 am

It is a weed, albeit a rather tasty and healthy one, which luckily seems to grow all over the place. My husband has a perverse aversion to weeds, so I sneak purslane into most salads and stir-frys. :iconbiggrin:

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Yes. It's quite odd how much money, time and effort some people put into getting rid of some plants only to spend so much money, time and effort replacing them with other plants that often look quite similar to or don't match up to the unwanted flower in prettiness [or usefulness]!

Ellendra

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Thoreau, while describing how satisfying he found a simple meal of purslane, commented "Yet men have come to such a pass that they frequently starve, not for want of necessaries, but for want of luxuries"

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”