Rose Hips

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
narmour
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 55
longitude: 06

Rose Hips

Hi

I am relatively (completely) new to foraging. I have spotted some small shrub like bushes which previously had pink flowers and are now laden with round red fruits which I suspect to be rose hips. I am eyeing them up to make wine with but from what I have read up on the internet it seems it is far too early for rosehips to be out. I will try and get a photo of them for clarification but in the meantime can anyone tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Somnophore
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Re: Rose Hips

Short of a photo it's hard to say 100%. Rose hips are usually more oval but some roses do have rounder or more saucer shapes hips.

Easiest way is cut in half with a knife, if it's full of furry/fluffy irritating seeds then it's a rise hip. If using them for wine, jelly etc make sure you remove all seeds and fluff before using the flesh.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I have rose hips in my garden, just starting to colour. Different varieties ripen at different times of year. For the past couple of years I've left them until after the first frost, by which time lots of small creatures had already helped themselves, so this year I'll be harvesting much earlier.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has anyone noticed if there are any sloes in their area, we have none at all this year, have looked everywhere, must have been the strange weather earlier on in the year, all my little apples fell off as well :(

Lyn

Somnophore
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Not noticed any sloes but haven't been looking just yet. you do get good and bad years with sloes, if you try different locations you will find some.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw sloes developing earlier in the year, but not visited my favourite patches yet. I could use some this year, stocks of sloe gin are getting low - I've nothing of my dark version at all :shock:

I plan on checking up on my favourite elderberry/blackberry/rosehip lane over teh weekend. It looks like it's a good year for brambles, the primary bunch of each elder branch I've seen is well on with ripening. It's early for rosehips, but possible that's what they are.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would say also that hips are normally more oval shaped than what you describe. Could they be haws? which are round and red.
Again I would also suggest like an above answer,to see if the irritating bits are there.
Good luck.

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have the same question, we have LOADS of these near me:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6273_n.jpg

These are what the flowers are like:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7295_n.jpg

both a lot bigger and rounder than what I have read about rosehips, but similar and they have little seeds inside which look the same as the smaller, elongated rosehips i've seen.

Can I use these ones for wine/syrup, etc?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are definitely rosehips - dog rose, I suspect. And yes, you can use them as for any rosehip.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

narmour

Thats what my ones look like!!! Thanks everyone. Will get out tonight with a bucket.

narmour

According to the river cottage hedgerow book, the hips in the photos are Japanese rose. These aren't as good for making syrup, wine etc. the best use of these is to use the flowers for things which have a rose flavour eg Turkish delight as the rose flavour is much more pronounced in the flowers of japanese roses than local dog rose hips.

daz101

Those are definitely rosa rugosa :)

JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Make sure you take some gloves with your bucket when you go picking. I always wear gloves but regularly get a thorn in a finger or thumb.
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Those are the rose hips that I forage. I have made wine, jam and syrup from them and I can say that alll 3 recipes were beautiful. The kids loved the syrup especually and we just raved over the wine. I did mix a little of teh traditional hips in but you will find these rounder hips much easier to work with.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

It is Rosa Rugosa and originally it came from Asia and Japan. The English translation of it's Japanese common name is shore eggplant (It's very salt tolerant and grows largely on the coast in it's native habitat).

Info from the Wiki site, interesting to note that in the US, it is considered a noxious weed!
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.