Sloe Syrup

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Sloe Syrup

Foraged a load of sloes last week. After making the obligatory couple of bottles of sloe gin for Christmas, I decided to have a go at making some sloe syrup. My old neighbour swears by it and considering he gave me a run for my money whilst we were repairing one of his barn roofs together (he's 84) I can't really argue - something's doing it for him.

It apparently contains a lot of vitamin C, which is useful over winter, and you should take a tablespoon of the syrup daily. It can also be diluted like a cordial.

First time I've made it, and looking around there are various recipes on the net, but I'm making it like this:

1. Add 500g of washed and drained sloes to 500ml of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. Some recipes recommend leaving the sloes in the water overnight. My sloes had been frozen, which I believe helps them break down anyway, so I forwent the soaking.
2. When all the fruit has burst open, pour off the liquid through a sieve lined with a muslin/cheese cloth. Leave to drain and cool a bit, giving the muslin a squeeze at the end to get the maximum juice out.
3. Add two cups of sugar (about 400g) to the strained juice, bring to the boil and reduce until you get the desired syrup consistency.
4. Bottle whilst hot, leave to cool, and store in the fridge or a cold cellar.

Has anyone else tried using sloes in this way?

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Sloe Syrup

No, but I am all for trying something new. We have masses around here and we don't drink, but this sounds as if it might be good for sore throats/tickly cough.

This week the neighbour gave me a huge bowl of lovely sweet grapes so I made pear (windfalls from the other side) and grape jelly. Will be quality testing tonight on fresh scones. Will be nice with lamb I should think. Or my nut roast. :iconbiggrin:

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mmm, nut roast. I use to eat that a lot. My neighbour usually gives me a sack of walnuts from his orchard so I might have to make that now/ Can you make it with just walnuts?

I think I over-reduced my slow syrup, or perhaps sloes have high levels of pectin in them, I don't know, but it ended up like a sloe jelly by the time it cooled so I had to water it down a little with some hot water,

Last year I made some grape jelly too and mixed it up with some walnuts and put it in jars. Ironically, my grape jelly came out more like a syrup...

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have to admit the grape and pear jelly has a bit of a strange texture. It's jelly, but a bit gluey. Tastes good though. If I do it again I will use a sachet of pectin and boil less for a lighter set.

Thinking of making syrup from the fruits from our cornus, it's supposed to be a remedy for allsorts, and certainly the fruits need the sugar!

As for nut roast, I use whatever nuts and seeds I have handy, breadcrumbs, herbs, some fruit, whatever is handy and egg. As long as it holds together it will do. :lol: Make 'meatballs' sometimes too, but with fewer nuts or grind them, and burgers. I am one of those people who throw things in a bowl, then when I come to make it again, can't, cos I haven't written it down!

Waiting with bated breath for my walnuts, still only black ones falling but I believe the Gypsies come knocking when they are ready, so that is when we will feel more confident in our's being ready.

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The make a lot of jam or compote here with the green walnuts, but when they are about the size of a marble. The other week I saw loads of people with long poles knocking them down from roadside trees and they are already for sale on the street corners here in the capital. I tried breaking into a green walnut about 10 days ago...my fingers are still brown!

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Better get out and check again then. We have gloves at the ready!

Stottball
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Maykal, I'm having some real trouble finding sloes this year. Where in the world are you??

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Transylvania :)

Lots of foraging opportunities here, I just wish I had more time to get out and about. Loads of slows, apples, and walnuts growing everywhere in the countryside at the moment. Even found a load of wild hops in one location.

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have masses too. As Maykal says, the hedgerows are fruitful for most of the year, from mulberries in spring, through plums, cherries, apples, pears, crab apples, walnuts, hazelnuts and of course sloes. I would love to know what else is hiding in the lush corridors at the side of the roads.

I am not doing sloes, but have cornus fruits from the garden which are supposed to be a superfood and am in the process of making that into syrup to ease a tickly cough in winter.

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

tosca wrote:Better get out and check again then. We have gloves at the ready!
Checked the walnuts. Have masses which have gone black but picked a bucket full of green ones and had some with lemon, touch of garlic, herbs and pasta. Delicious. Coffee and walnut cake today, hens permitting!