Trapping Crayfish in the UK

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
ForageUK
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 54.0
longitude: -2.0

Trapping Crayfish in the UK

Hi all

I've spent the last year learning the ins and outs of trapping Signal Crayfish in the UK. As an invasive species they are a threat to our poor little native White Clawed Crayfish and incredibly tasty to boot! I have just written a How To: on catching and eating them and if everyone got involved perhaps we can make a difference together have a look see what you think! http://www.foragesussex.com/2014/01/UK. ... yfish.html

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Trapping Crayfish in the UK

Nice one

I would love to try this as I am trying to include as much wild protein into my diet as possible

Does anyone know if we have crayfish down here in Cornwall?

Paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

A bit of a late response.

There's an ongoing conservation project for the white-clawed crayfish (the native species) in Cornwall. I suspect that means that native crayfish can still be found in Cornwall's rivers and, if that's the case, you probably don't have a snowflake in hell's chance of getting permission to hunt for them.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

polaris2582
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

MKG wrote:A bit of a late response.

There's an ongoing conservation project for the white-clawed crayfish (the native species) in Cornwall. I suspect that means that native crayfish can still be found in Cornwall's rivers and, if that's the case, you probably don't have a snowflake in hell's chance of getting permission to hunt for them.
No but the invasive signal crayfish are very pervasive down there and are hunted, the whites just released to go on their merry way. Trapping is quite popular down that way I've heard (cousin), you'd best phone your local council for advice in where etc though. :)

E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I was pretty disappointed on this article.

One of the main reasons why signal crayfish is such a massive issue is that people keep moving traps in between different sites without properly cleaning their traps and hence risking introducing the signal crayfish eggs and/or crayfish plague to rivers/lakes where the native crayfish still have strong populations.

When fishing for crayfish it is very important that you rinse, clean and dry you traps completely and ideally also disinfect them before you move them between the sites. I think this should be highlighted in the article.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would love to find out if there are these critters down here in Cornwall. I would be quite happy to do my bit to reduce the population.

Is there a list of waterways that do have them

paul
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't know Paul, but I'm guessing your local council, or whoever it is in charge of waterways and fisheries (Environment Agency mayhap ? :dontknow: ) will be able to tell you the wheres, whens and ifs of it all.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks GA
I have never heard of Signals in our area of Cornwall but that does not mean they are not there.

I will do some digging. It might even be a good idea to do as the chap did in the article and go fishing with some bacon.

Paul