Water lillies edible or not?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Water lillies edible or not?

Just been out and found some water lilly seed pods. I seem to recall that the seed pods are edible and you can even make a sort of pop corn with them? Before I tuck in, any idea if there are any dangers I need to be aware of, are some water lillies poisonous for eg?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water lillies edible or not?

Not enough info there, Andy. At least one water lily is toxic (Nymphaea tuberosa).

It says "The poisonous plant can be distinguished by its tuberous rootstock and odorless (or nearly so) flowers". Looks like you'll have to go back and dive in to find out what you want to know.

On the other hand, matters get really confused because there is also a Nymphaea tuberosa edible which, as its name suggests, is edible and its seeds can be ground to use as flour. I'm no expert, but I think I'd go out and buy some sunflower seeds instead.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Water lillies edible or not?

If it's either white or yellow water lily yes they are edible, they can also be used as a flour or thickening agent when dried
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/