Green hazelnuts

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Green hazelnuts

I took my girls on a walk in the woods today and they had a whale of a time picking up green hazelnuts off the ground. Can we do anything with them or are they no good? From the looks of a lot of the nuts on the ground, there won't be any ripe ones left come autumn; lots of woodpeckers, mice and other hazelnut munchers in the woods near us.

Thanks!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Green hazelnuts

I think you're in luck, Runnerbean ...

http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/ask/w ... hazelnuts/
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember eating loads of green hazel nuts when I was a young 'un, cracked them with my teeth, and I also well remember getting a sore throat from them. It was a well known country fact that green hazels give you a sore throat.
Didn't stop me though.
I have no idea what this summer has done for nuts, but hazels are usually ready about the end of August in a normal year.

Take a look at those ones on the ground, I bet most of them are empty. It's more likely the tree shedding unviable nuts
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Marvellous, thank you. I shall get cracking in the morning. (sorry :mrgreen: )