Wild yeast

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Wild yeast

I seem to have caught some wild yeast :cheers: I've tried before, with no luck, and this time was by accident, of course. I'd soaked some pieces of crab apple in elderflower cordial for use in a cake, and kept the apple/elderflower syrup in a jar (not knowing what to do with it, but not wanting to throw it out either). It's now bubbling and smelling quite alcoholic.

That means I have four yeast strains living in my kitchen now: Tame bread yeast fed with flour (sourdough starter), tame bread yeast fed with malt extract (last used to make mugwort ale), tame wine yeast fed with blackberry juice and sugar (not sure it's still alive, actually), and now wild yeast, currently being fed with sugar. I'm not sure what to do with them all, but I feel this is getting a bit out of hand!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wild yeast

Start a zoo.

Yiou already have the Gyu, also known as the Wildeyeest. You can move on to the other Yeast African species later.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wild Hartiyeest makes a very good sourdough bread I believe.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, we tried, Tony :lol: :lol:
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

You two are very daft :lol:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/