Chestnuts - how and when do I use them?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

Re: Chestnuts - how and when do I use them?

Hi all
I've been collecting Chestnuts today, its a poor season here this year but we managed to get a few, though most are the size a hazelnut.
How would you be recommend storing them till Christmas, I don't like the idea of putting them in a plastic bag in the fridge, but would a tin/jar/cloth bag do?
Also some are a little under-rip, will they be ok, or should I put them out for the squirrel?
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Chestnuts you always have to keep a few weeks for them to ripen properly. Like you do with walnuts, hazelnuts etc. All these nuts will then keep for quite a while, provided you put them somewhere not too damp and not too dry. My walnuts last a whole year, I'm just finishing off the 2017 ones! Chestnuts will dry out a bit over time but you just soak them a while before cooking them. I have kept mine in a metal cage (meant for drying out lettuce I think) but just in an open bowl is fine.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

PurpleMcGowan
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

That's great thanks :)
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring

Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Our last foray in the van found us amongst dozens of chestnut trees and there were so many nuts on the ground you couldn't avoid stepping on them. Sadly we forgot to collect any before leaving so now I'm trying to get the other half to take us back there again!!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.