scrumping

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
digiveg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

PS: I was driving along the M4 between Bristol and London the other day and passed a whole bunch of heavily-laden apple trees just growing on the embankment. They're not part of a farm that existed before the motorway, as they're growing right on the hard shoulder. Nearly made me stop...but I don't think 'but it's free fruit, officer' is a good enough reason...
When my pursuit of freedom causes harm to another living being, it becomes a dictatorship.

Daisy's Mum
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

DH and I have regular routes that we travel along that keep us in good supply of plums, apples, pears, chestnuts, blackberries, walnuts etc. Most of these are along side the lanes and small roads round our area.

We make a conscious decision to avoid those growing too close to the side of the busy bypass as it does get ALOT of traffic, and I think that the fruit would need more than a good scrub.

We do this quite unasshamedly and whereas on the most part people going past just laugh, DH once had somebody shake their head at him and give him a telling off because he was stood on the roof of our car collecting plums! They were only falling on the floor.

Imho I say go on collecting, I think that far too many people suffer from this fear of doing something because of the blame and claim culture. I don't mean to sound glib but if we continue to get caught up worrying about what other people will do as a result of it we will all end up doing nothing. As long as you are conscencious and thoughtful about it I don't think that you should worry.

Lorna x
That's the trouble with Do It Yourself - Sometimes it goes and does it back! - Tom Good