mushrooms picked while out on walk today

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd say that the first pics are of a young and also a more mature bich polypore - not edible.

2nd. Definitely not Chantrelles, nor oyster mushrooms for the second examples, although I'm not 100% certain of what it might be.

Third example - no idea.

Fourth, although it looks superficially like a boletus without seeing the underside of the cap it's hard to say for sure but if it was, it wouldn't have gills, but pores instead. I'dve suggested Devil's bolete but it's rare and it'd also be way out of season.

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yesterday I finally located a local haunt of the giant puffball, having found at least five complete & spore laden specimens ranging from 10" to well over a foot across. Adoped one and brought it home to look at the spores under the microscope, and hopefully innoculate part of one of our veg patches (well I can dream can't I? ) and have earmarked the area where they lurk ready for next year.

Then this afternoon I came across a large swathe of Winter Chantrelles (Cantharellus infundibuliformis) and a couple of Hedgehog mushrooms (Hydnum repandum ), plus a smaller patch of Terracotta hedgehogs (Hydnum rufescens).

The birdsong was great, the peace superb, and I had the world pretty much to myelf. Brilliant.

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

At this time of year? You lucky thing!

The giant puffball innoculation thing isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. I hoofed an over-the-hill specimen into a paddock nearby, and two years later we had some pop up in the next field along. Could be co-incidence, but...

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

:mrgreen: I'll keep my fingers crossed then!