A pleasant surprise!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

A pleasant surprise!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Found these (and many more) whilst out on a forage today. Rather unexpected considering the season!

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 am

They look lovely ~ did you pick them and what are they?
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:37 am

Corrr! They look like shaggy ink caps to me, in which case yumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyumyu,yumyumyum!

Anna x

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:18 pm

Yup! Bang on - shaggy inkcaps one of my favourite fungi & as anna says, they're really yum! I did harvest them as they make a delicious soup, so they provided the perfect supper (esp. as these ones were beautifully fresh and young). :mrgreen:

Had another wander today - but this time we were looking for evergreen material to make a wreath. Found many fungi to photograph and id., plus butchers broom (with berries), holly (with berries), ivy and yew. The wreath base is fashioned from some thin hazel wands. You don't need much, just a little here, a little there. So that's this evening's work sorted out!

shiney

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I love mushrooms but I do have to be careful as they don't seem to like me. Even an overdose of normal old mushies make me ill. By overdose I mean...mushies and garlic on toast kind of thing!

It's a real shame...as I really adore them. I just have to have a little taster. :cooldude:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:36 pm

:( Wow. Now I feel blessed that I'm able to indulge to my hearts content! Not sure how I'd feel foraging at this time of year if I knew I couldn't eat fungi. :shock:

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”