Birch sap

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:32 am

Ahhh ok.... mine is not a sapling and it's over a metre tall but only has a 300mm trunk. Reckon I'll find one elsewhere and tap it and then make sure it's well and truly bunged up again when I've finished.

How to tell whether it's too late to do it? Middle two weeks of March - would that be different in different places in the UK - our growing season is generally later up here.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Smooth Hound
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 am

They used to use birch sap as a midgey repellent up here, if you do get some it would be interesting to try.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Me and Andy did have a go at tapping a couple of trees a few weeks ago but I think we did it far too late, the season did seem to come early this year. I think I've got another 50 spring left in my life so we'll try again next year.

Cornelian
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question ... but can you use silver birches as well? I have both paper and silver birches in my garden.

Kev
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fri May 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Hi
Sorry shirlz that i did not respond to your question I haven't been able to get online for a while.

Cornelian. Not a stupid question at all. Yes you can use silver birch.

Kev.

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”