Nest Box?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Nest Box?

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Walking through some woodland this afternoon, I noticed someone had been busy putting up a lot of nest boxes - there were probably twenty or so like this:

But I saw another one that has me puzzled:
At first I though it was a) probably a squirrel trap of some sort, and b) had been knocked sideways by a fallen tree that was lying alongside.

But closer inspection, as best as I was able (it's about 4 meters off the ground), seems to show that it is meant to be at an angle like that. It's about 750mm long, with an acess hatch. There is no kind of trap mechanism inside (I could peer in through some drain holes in the bottom of it), it seems to be just a hollow, empty box. And even if it was vertical, I can't see it being a problem for a squirrel to get out of.

So, is it a nest box? What sort of bird would use that? There is no shelter over it to keep the rain out, it's quite long, and the entrance is at a pretty steep angle. Anybody got any ideas?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:56 pm

Drop bear trap? :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Hedgehogpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:40 am

According to the wiggly wigglers site it's a nestbox for a Tawny Owl:

Nice to know you've got some of those about. We have some in the woods over the road and often hear them calling to each other late at night.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:01 am

OK! Thanks, HHP.

I did wonder about something the size of an owl, but thought that a nest built in the bottom of that was going to be impossible for it to get out of - it seems a steep incline to the exit.

There are certainly tawny owls in that wood - I've heard them when I've been there late, and barn owls, too. I'll keep my eye on that box, from a distance, and see if one takes up residence.

BTW, Nev, I did see some poop in the woods - maybe there are bears there after all!
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:06 am

Strange but interesting. I too would have been puzzling over that one!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:46 am

Muddypause wrote:BTW, Nev, I did see some poop in the woods - maybe there are bears there after all!

Sorry mate, just having a go......... Drop bears are a species of koala that drops from the trees when you least expect it and claw you to shreds! :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Return to “Wild Foods and Foraging”