Silverweed heaven!!!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Trinity
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Silverweed heaven!!!

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:12 pm

I am so excited :blob2: :blob3: :blob5: to find that we can eat silverweed. Apparently the roots taste like parsnips!!!!! I have the stuff growing all over my lawn and well infact everywhere on my plot.

Does anyone else eat this? Before I start introducing it to our menu I'd love to hear about anybody elses experience of it...

Eagerly anticipating....

Love
Trinity :cheers:

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 am

I didn't know it was edible - and yes I had to google it as I have never heard of silverweed! I do know this 'weed' as a Potentilla however. I hope you enjoy eating it.

Trinity
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:24 am

Thank-you... will report on it when I use it :cooldude:

xxx

Millymollymandy

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:03 am

Actually come to think of it, I do have a funny tale about this plant.

Whilst living in a rented house my brother and sis in law came to stay, and asked if they could dig up a few of the pretty yellow flowered plants that were running riot over the rockery. Help yourself says I, not knowing what it was either.

Only later did I discover it was basically a weed, that spreads like wildfire! :lol: