What are these berries?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

What are these berries?

Can anyone tell me for sure what these berries are? I've been told they are elderberries but didn't want to eat them incase there not. I have a big tree of them growing in my garden and if there edible it'd be a shame to waste them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... erries.jpg

wulf

I think they are elderberries? Did the tree have small white flowers earlier in the season?

Wulf

2steps

yes, it did. tons of them

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

By Crikey they look like elderberries, probably form the nigra species rather than canadensis which is the type that I have.:mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Yes, they are elderberries - get them before the birds do! But don't eat them raw, they can make you quite sick. I think there's elderberry recipes somewhere on the site - wine is nice, I like jelly best, but you can also mix them in with other fruit (plum and apple, for example) in jam. And next year get the flowers for elderflower bubbly (but don't ask Nev about it, he hates it :mrgreen: !), or cordial.

Ina

wulf

When I was growing up, we had an elder tree at the end of our garden. I remember my Mum putting a sheet over the rotary washing line when the berries were in season because the bird droppings became rich purple and highly staining!

I think our main use of the fruits was for dishes like summer pudding, with various berries baked, as I recall, in a shell of bread.

Wulf

2steps

thank you everyone :mrgreen:

I love summer pudding or just the fruits on there own with cream mmmmmm
I was thinking of making some jam with the berries. Don't drink alcohol but may make some cordial

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Nice in a pie with lots of apple :mrgreen: