Has anyone fitted their own log burner?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
jammie*dodger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Has anyone fitted their own log burner?

We've been quoted over £3500 to install our log burner. It's a simple job - straight out the back of the stove, through the back wall of the house and up the side to near the ridge height. That's not including the stove or hearth. I reckon I can buy the required pipework for about £600 so the extra cost must all be labour. I'm fairly handy and don't see why I shouldn't be able to do this but does anyone have a good guide? Don't want to do it wrong.

Also how would this affect my home insurance? Does it have to be done by an accredited fitter?

Cheers, JD

cuttertree
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Has anyone fitted their own log burner?

It's sooooooo easy to install yourself. When i bought my first one the company i got it from were gonna charge £600, that is more than the log burner itself! Since then i've installed three more, (dining room and bedrooms).

There are various website explaining how to install. The awkward part is bunging the flue liner down the chimney. Best way is throw some rope down the chimney attach one end to the liner and have one person indoors pulling the rope and pipe down the chimney and one person up the ladder feeding the liner through.

Only hickup i had was putting the burner in place, they are heavy buggers. I put my knee through the glass, so the overall installation cost was 60 quid for a new piece.

It is a doddle!!

Lining chimney website

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/lining_a_chimney.html

This above website has various other links regarding the installation. Very good.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, I installed mine and it was pretty easy. You need to be aware of the risks involved in using a stove with an improperly installed chimney/flue - they range from the stove not working properly to certain death of everyone in the house. However, if you comply with your local building regulations and the stove manufacturers instructions, there's no reason why you can't DIY it.

There's a wealth of information out there on t'internet about how to do it. I'd start with the HETAS website, then check your building regs, if I were you.

If you're worried, make sure you have a good carbon monoxide alarm or two to hand, a smoke alarm, etc... It's all common sense stuff.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

From the sound of it you aren't using a chimney, just popping the flue pipe up the outside of the house. In that case, the only thing to watch is that the flue sticks up high enough above the roof line to get a good draught through the stove. That also means making sure that the flue pipe is securely fixed at the top so that it doesn't wobble in the wind which could then damage the wall.

Also, think about allowing an access point for cleaning the flue at the elbow where the pipe pops out of the wall (this might be a requirement now). It makes it much easier to clean if you can do it from outside without a bend to worry about.

Go for it.

Zoe

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree with Thomzo about sweeping it from outside.
Where it comes through the wall, fit a "T" socket instead of a 90 degree bend. You can get a removable cap to blank off the bottom leg of the T, then sweeping is a doddle.
Also make sure you get insulated flue pipe, the double walled type, otherwise the smoke will cool and condense tar on the flue walls.
Other than that it's relatively easy for any able bodied person to do.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

teraivyyr
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We replaced our antiquated pot-bellied stove last year, and my partner did it quite easily. Main thing to remember is to seal all the joints well (and we have bought a carbon monoxide alarm just to be on the safe side.)

jammie*dodger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. Thomzo is correct. We have no chimney.

Rob.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Jammie*Dodger,

Opened up the fireplace, cut a hole in a piece of sheet steel for the flue pipe. Used angle iron screwed to the chimney walls to support the sheet. Put the flue pipe through the hole. Connected the stove (Esse Diamond) and sealed all round the gaps with fire clay. CO monitor on the hearth under the stove. Big blaze to set the fire clay! Pot of soup on the hot plate. (I'm a glutton!)

Robert is your male relation!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.