Overnight Baking of an Aga

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Overnight Baking of an Aga

Hi people

I've a solid-fuel aga and I'm having problems with the overnight baking. No matter what I do, the oven always burns out and there are no hot coals left to start a new fire with in the morning

I was wondering if people had any tips/comments/suggestions for a wood burner likes myself

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Overnight Baking of an Aga

Usually with solid fuel ranges, if there is nothing left in the morning its either because the wrong type of fuel is being used to keep it in, not enough fuel is being used to keep it in or the range/flue has some air leaks.

It does also have the weather fighting against it.

I have reconditioned many solid fuel range cookers for customers and they are so suprised how well it workes when fixed or serviced.

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

2 or 3 good chunks of Oak should keep a well serviced stove/range in overnight. Mine has been on since November kept in with both wood or coal.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the tips - i thinks that its a bit off all of the above - I seem to have the only aga in hungary and getting it serviced may be fun!

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you cant find someone to do it, send me a PM and ill talk you through it.

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello there ,

we have an Esse ironheart and have had a similiar problem.
The solution give it a good clean , demount as much as you can or dare and remove all soot.
Also the chimney , it is important that all the ait channels around the over are clean , and the air inlet vents.
For overnight burning we use Browncoal , I think it is called Ligniet , it is a typical german product,but it is
great stuff ,also gives 5,5kwh per kg !
I think you'll find info off it on wikipedia .
For overnight burning on the esse we close the bottom airinlet , and leave the top one open.
Before going to bed create a good bed of hot ashes and then put on a few "briketts"
in the morning it is still going , shake of the ashes , a few bits of wood and action.

regards ,

Paul