How much are you paying for firewood?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: How much are you paying for firewood?

KeithBC wrote: Last week, the hydro company had a crew out cutting trees that were a threat to the power lines. Collecting such "free" wood is a competitive sport. The neighbouring property owners get about a 15-minute head start, then anyone is likely to show up with a pickup truck and a chainsaw. Half an hour after the tree falls, all that is left is a pile of sawdust. :wink:
the town I live in has a City owned compost site where most people bring leaves, twigs, brush that they want to get rid of. several times a year the city has a crew to cut trees down. The city will drag them whole to this site. The tree will last about 2 hours before it's cut up and hauled away by scroungers like me...I can't count the number of times I am 20 minutes too late :angry3:

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I cut trees down as part of my job, but oft times its too far to carry or theres not enough space in my works vehicle. I never bother taking willow but ash, sycamore and hawthorn are worth it. I dont have a wood burning stove myself but its good to give away to earn me some "social credit" :grouphug: I do have a wood burner on me alotment though so some logs will go in there to make potash for them plants what like it. I also carry a bag with me when out forraging to fill with deadwood twigs and sticks great for getting a fire started.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

A cord/e is different in different countries and even within a country the amount of steres within a corde are different. Where I live there are 3 steres to a corde but other parts of France have 4.

A corde in France is 3m3. Though apparently if the logs are cut to 50cm long then it is smaller than 3m3. Cut to 30cm long and it's even smaller still as it is based on 1m long lengths of wood and cut wood stacks more.

Keith BC I love your wood shed. Ours is very cobbled together and out in the middle of our little wood (probably placed there out of view because previous owner didn't apply for permission to erect it!).

I love it when it is full!
Firewood.jpg
Firewood.jpg (96.46 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

It is amazing how much you can amass from simply scrounging. We looked into the price of wood, discovered it was about £40 per cubic metre, and bought a chainsaw for £100 instead. We haven't looked back, and since we got it, my OH has barely touched the X-Box! :lol:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scrounging wood isn't an option for all of us though..... well not enough to heat the whole house.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

Well exactly, and here in France you can't go onto other people's land and steal their wood, even if it is a non-fenced off bit of woodland. It's theirs and they might want it! In a woodland dead wood is really important to the ecology anyway so I hope those of you who forage in woodlands ask the owner's permission. :shock: On my land I have piles of wood placed on purpose as habitat for the wildlife.

bonniethomas06

You are quite right - we only use one fireplace to heat one room, so I suppose it is much more of a small-scale operation.

I should have added that we are lucky enough to live next to a farm, and so have been given free reign over all of the old horse fencing and pallets, or find unwanted wood on freecycle, rather than more sinister guerilla logging! :oops:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

The DH sells wood, £45 for the equivalent of 1 builders bag and £80 for two.

This year is the first season that we have been going as full time concern, and we're doing well at it :cheers: . The wood we use is through an arrangement with a local landowner, the estate has to be managed, the manor house and the keepers / workers cottages can only get through so much, and we buy the rest - Andy processes and splits it, I keep finding myself delivering it (HOW did he manage that? :dontknow: ) The land manager is the Godfather to my two girls, so it couldn't be better. Fingers crossed that this season continues to be a good one and hopefully he can give up full time employment next year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lorna x

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello there ,

I asked this question last year , did not get many reactions.

Here in NW Germany the prices vary from 40 € for wet rubbish to 90€ for kiln dried oak and beech ,ready
to burn .
The measurements we use are qubic metres M3 .
Or if we get lucky and find a fairly cheap supplier , someone who does it for an hobby ,the going price for
freshly cut wood is 35 € , but it has to be dried and cut down to oven sized chunks.

The prices of firewood are probably related to the oil and gas prices , and our european ''Leaders"
sold our gas stocks , and now we are dependent on the Russians .

regards ,

Paul

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had a knock on the door today - someone looking to sell me firewood at £3.50 a bag (those orange mesh bags) I politely declined :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Fred Hoggin
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

dtttttttttttttttt
Last edited by Fred Hoggin on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millymollymandy

growingthings wrote:The DH sells wood, £45 for the equivalent of 1 builders bag and £80 for two.

This year is the first season that we have been going as full time concern, and we're doing well at it :cheers: . The wood we use is through an arrangement with a local landowner, the estate has to be managed, the manor house and the keepers / workers cottages can only get through so much, and we buy the rest - Andy processes and splits it, I keep finding myself delivering it (HOW did he manage that? :dontknow: ) The land manager is the Godfather to my two girls, so it couldn't be better. Fingers crossed that this season continues to be a good one and hopefully he can give up full time employment next year! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lorna x
What a rotten job delivering is (if it is anything like here in France) - you've got to stand in the back of your van/truck/tractor and throw the wood out for as long as it takes to unload your however many m3. :shock: You must have arm muscles like Popeye! Mind you that is a lot easier than the stacking it neatly to required height in the first place! :iconbiggrin:

(Somehow I don't think you're doing it the French way, or if you are then :salute: :salute: :salute: )

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fred Hoggin wrote:What a rotten job delivering is (if it is anything like here in France) - you've got to stand in the back of your van/truck/tractor and throw the wood out for as long as it takes to unload your however many m3. You must have arm muscles like Popeye! Mind you that is a lot easier than the stacking it neatly to required height in the first place!

(Somehow I don't think you're doing it the French way, or if you are then )
I am actually chucking it off the back of a truck, which can be a bit of a job when someone has a huge load, it's an almost audible surprise when they see a slight young woman turn up to their delivery (normally with a sprog or two in tow! :mrgreen: ) And I'm the one in the family with a congenital heart condition :shock: !

He's busy trying to change all that, and has bought a ram to convert the flatbed of our truck into a tipper, so then all I have to do is turn up and dump it :cheers: . So he's not as hard a task master as he sounds :hugish:

Lorna x

Millymollymandy

Blimey Lorna! I do salute you!!! :salute:

Be good when you get the tipper though! :iconbiggrin:

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I paid £35 for about 1/4 cubic m of dries seasoned hardwood logs, delivered in a small builders type bag. The same chap does 1m3 bags for £70 but we've no where to store that amount of wood in our little house, though if we have words with neighbours we might be able to split a load.
Thankfully we don't need to use the woodburner all the time but it sure is nice to supplement the central heating when it gets cold.