solar-powered irrigation in a polytunnel

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: solar-powered irrigation in a polytunnel

Slightly different direction, but has anyone any thoughts on solar power lighting for green house / poly tunnels? I'm just wondering if a couple of hours extra lighting might be helpful in early season to encourage plants to get away.

oldjerry

Jon,I reckon Tony''s yer man for this ,but I will say that though I'm pretty ignorant with physics,in Jan i bought 2 square panels on line,turn then upside down and there are 60 or so little bulbs,alternate blue and red.i rang the bloke I got them from,he confirmed they use miniscule amounts of power(they don't give off any heat),so they could be the biz for a solar charger.If this is any use I'll dig out where they came from.They work really well.BWs.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldjerry wrote:Jon,I reckon Tony''s yer man for this
No, not solar (I think OJ's right about lack of sunshine during the gloomy winter days, although south Vendee may be sunnier).
I use a wind turbine which powers a couple of heated propagators and 2 Grolux strip lights.
Inspired by the weeks of strong icy east winds this (so called) spring, my project this year is to install heating in my big greenhouse with the turbine directly coupled to a 48v immersion heater in a copper cylinder at one end feeding a radiator at the other by thermo-syphon.
That will guarantee calm sunny weather next winter.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry

Don't grolux create heat,Tony?, these things I've got(whatever they ) are always cool,so (presumably) don't use so much power? Later on I'll try and remember the site I got them from. Off the point but it might be relevant.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are not exactly Grolux OJ, they are Sunblaster T5 CFL about 2' long and 24W and they get vaguely warm. I just put my hand on one that has been on since 8 am and it is "pleasantly" warm.
I looked at LEDs before and my thoughts were that although they are lower wattage they are more like spot lights and a lot more expensive, where this strip illuminates my 2 foot window sill propagator perfectly.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry

Yep thy weren't cheap,can't remember but Mrs OJ says I paid 30 quid for them,and I usually err on the low side when I tell her how much I've spent,so at least 60. can see how the tube would be much better on a window sill, and easier to raise if growing tom/pepper/etc plants.these work really well for growing stuff in trays especially winter salad and basil,probably strawberries too but that's for next year.Don't know if they're worth it,but if you wanted to power here by solar they'd take some beating.

solarwind
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Found these on eBay, 330785312285 Perhaps they might be of use.

The Riff-Raff Element

Thanks - wind we have plenty of, so I'll look into this a bit further.