Storing energy from turbine without batteries

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
jago25_98
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 32

Storing energy from turbine without batteries

Does anyone here have any info about storing energy such as Wind Energy from a turbine in another form than batteries?

I've read about developments with compressed air but I've no idea how this would work on a small scale.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Storing energy from turbine without batteries

A friend of mine tells me that it might be more efficient to store energy as heat or at least to convert windpower directly to heat eg. drive a generator hooked up to an electric element.

I can't vouch for this though.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Storing energy from turbine without batteries

This website gives details of quite a few alternatives:
http://www.mpoweruk.com/alternatives.htm

I was tempted by the idea of pumping water up to a reservoir, myself, as we have steep land with a stream at the bottom, but then I did the calculations and found we'd be able to store about two thirds of a kilowatt hour!

I'd only use thermal storage if you wanted the electricity for heat anyway. If what you actually want is electricity, then you'd lose a lot of energy turning electricity into heat and back into electricity again.

I came to the conclusion that, for all their faults, batteries probably are the best.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/