Best Chainsaw

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
delineator
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Best Chainsaw

Hi
Looking to purchase a good little chain saw for chopping firewood/logs and cutting back a few of the smaller size trees we have on our land. I'd been looking at the Stihl MS170 & MS171
Any advice welcome
Thanks in advance if you can help

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Best Chainsaw

:)

Hello again. Like you I use a chainsaw to feed my stove.

Nothing wrong with Stihl - or Husqvarna. Both are great saws. My one advice - and you prbably know this but I'm going to say it anyway in case you haven't used a saw before - get the proper PPE - as a minimum boots, chainsaw chaps, helmet, visor and muffs. Jacket and gloves are useful too.

If you like the stihls - get one - you won't go much wrong with one, Good shout on the shorter bar - though I find 14" bar better on larger wood so I'd pick the 171

Red
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

delineator

Hi Red
Thanks again for your kind reply, like you I'd thought may the 14" bar would be a better long term investment for the larger logs.
The prices I found were
MS170 12" - £175
MS171 14" £190
Not price difference

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Indeed. I wouldn't go much above 14" though - it get heavy and you rarely need it.

Will you be felling and sectioning your own trees as well? Or just cutting up felled wood? Does make a difference.

The other thing I do now is change over to an Oregon Powersharp system from the start - so much easier and faster than fiels - and you will need to keep that chain sharp!

delineator

Will be mainly used to reduce the sizes of existing logs/firewood, but it will be needed to fell some of the smaller trees that we'd like to thin out and lop some of the large ones as well.
Oregon Powersharp System - looks a really handy tool looks like its allows to to keep the blade sharp whilst on the go. How long do the Powersharp's normally last if used regular and will it work fine with the standard stihl 14" bar or would I need a Oregon bar fitted to chainsaw to use the Powersharp tool.

Thanks again

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yep, costs about £50 for the bar, chain and sharpener. You have to buy their chains in future - but its a foolproof system and sharpening takes 5-10 seconds

You can always swap back tp the Stihl bar if you want. Unless you plan to use a round file & guide to sharpen - and that gets old, fast, then you will probably drop at least half that on a 12V sharpener anyway!

delineator

Certainly sounds like its worth looking at. Take it the Oregon bar will fit as easily as the Stihl standard bar.
Thanks again

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Stihl or Husvanna Definately, nothing else you will be disapointed.
The only other thing that is a good investment are those saw horses you can put your saw on a pivot, that saves time and effort, I'd rather buy that than all the smelly PPE....... Old School man! One handed man I grant you!
PPE doesn't really do allot if you are NOT 100% focused on the job of sawing safely, stop when you are tired, DO NOT rush it, set your cuts up safely, get into the habit of sawing to the side of your boby, and that you know the log isn't going to come spinning up the blade, keep your floor area clear of obstructions so you don't trip, or worse something is in the way when you need to move quickly, etc etc, if none of that makes sence, then go and get some instruction as well, oh and the PPE as well.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Delineator,

I did a write up for another forum on cutting and splitting for firewood - not felling technique but sectioning and splitting - it covers saw horses etc.

Say the word if you would like me to post it here

Red

delineator

Hi Red
I'm a Maintenance Joiner so have some experience with timber/wood you could say,but certainly believe we never stop learning each & every day. So if you could post your info on chopping & splitting it would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Doubt theres much to teach you - but at least you can see the tools I use :). I'll put it up tomorrow

delineator

'You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives'

Please yes pop the info on tomorrow I'd be greatful.
Thanks

PS Wish someone would teach how to type on this chuffing iPad with my fat fingers !!

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Also, used a vegetable based chain lube oil. You'd be surprised how much oil spray you inhale/ingest.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

boboff

Very Good Point, Sorry Red I feel bad now, I didn't mean to Dis your Saw Skills! I would love to see your info on splitting etc as well.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

boboff wrote:Very Good Point, Sorry Red I feel bad now, I didn't mean to Dis your Saw Skills! I would love to see your info on splitting etc as well.
Didn't think you had :icon_smile:

I agree - PPE is hot and sweaty stuff.

Personally, even using a saw clamp, I'd still wear a helmet, boots and chaps. Same reason I always put on ear defense when shooting - even with a supressed gun - its one of those "some mistakes you only get to make once" things.

Red