Woodburner in conservatory

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Woodburner in conservatory

Hi, We'd love to have a woodburner in our conservatory, but think the cost may be too much. Has anyone else done this? If so, what size burner have you got, and was installation very expensive? Was it worthwhile?
Our conservatory is 5 metres x 2.5 metres. We'd be able to use it all year round if we could heat it more cheaply in winter. I also wonder if it would reduce damp, which I've noticed more this year.
I can see small burners for 2 or 3 hundred pounds, but the install cost seems to be more like 1500! Is that about right?

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Woodburner in conservatory

Hi JJ
We fitted our own in the barn and spare room in Portugal. VERY simple if you dont mind knocking a hole through an outside wall. Have to ensure that the pipe is well away from anything flammable but it really was simple. Made a base of stone slabs. and bought the flues with the stoves. One is a classic woodburner and the other, a less aesthetically pleasing, but very effective, steel stove. First cost us 200euros and the other 50euros...but the flues can be about 15 euros upwards for each mtre length. Dont know the comparable prices in Uk, but I am sure someone will. Have you looked at the frontier stove (google it) very small but portable!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Battybird. We had wondered about installing one ourselves, but weren't sure if our DIY skills were up to it. Not the sort of thing we'd want to make a mistake with! We'd have to either make a hole in the brickwork, or cut a hole in the conservatory roof for one of those special flues.

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

I had looked just generally at wood burners and the install costs seem way over the top. How have you got on but I guess it maybe depends on what material the roof is made from as opposed to cutting the brick or perhaps removing bricks and sealing up the gap between the flue and wall.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

battybird

I was wondering that too. Have done it twice now and seems fairly simple as long as you take care about inflammable surfaces being well away from the flue!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon