House Renovation

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Peewee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

House Renovation

I'm considering buying a house that needs a fair bit of renovation - it doesn't have any central heating so I'll be starting from scratch in terms of what central heating / water heating system to install and I want it to be as green as poss. Its in central manchester so will be connected to mains gas which from the research I have done would probably be the cheapest way to heat the house - through an energy efficient combi-boiler. But I really want to use renewable / alternative energy. Its a semi-detached house - prob built around 1930's so won't be the most insulated, draft free house I guess! Thats prob the first thing to sort out.

Any suggestions on what would be best?

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Absolutely right about insulation being a high priority. The more heat you can keep in the place, the less consequence is any inefficincy in the heating. Insulate, draught-proof, and cure any damp problems, too.

If it's of fairly conventional construction, you will probably find that it has cavity walls, so consider having insulation blown into the cavity. And of course loft insulation. Can't remember what the current minimum is, but certainly don't consider putting in less than 200mm - the more the better. If the house doesn't have double glazing, you should certainly consider that in one form or another.

In terms of double glazing, boilers, etc., are you planning to do all the work yourself? If so, make sure you understand about certain regulations - double glazing and central heating boilers now have to pass energy efficiency standards - this includes their installation as well as their manufacture. This doesn't have to be a problem, but it's as well to be aware of it.

The most practical renewable energy option will probably be solar hot water panels on your roof. Unfortunately, I don't think these would work well in conjuction with a combination boiler - they need some sort of hot water storage tank. Typically you would have a hot water cylinder with two heat exchanger coils in it - one from your boiler, and one from your solar panels. Personally, I would opt for a conventional boiler with storage tank, rather than a combi., but that's largely personal choice.

Have a look on the web for more details about solar panels - we've even got a resident propagandist around here somewhere; he may be along to tell you more in a mo.

Good luck.
Stew

Ignorance is essential