Paper logs

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Paper logs

Does anyone else make paper logs? I have a gadget that presses them out into brick shaped logs. They burn really well. The only problem is drying them! pbf

hedgewitch

Re: Paper logs

I would so have one of these if I had an open fire - I think they're a wicked idea and would dry really easily in the Spanish sun.
there's a small discussion about them here
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

prison break fan

Spanish sun, that's what I need!!! pbf

PaulDK
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have one of the log makers too. I started making some a while ago so they dry out in summer (yeah...summer.....remember that weekend....?...lol)
I also keep old toilet rolls and stuff them with the paper too, leave them in the sun and hey presto, a 'ready log'.

Any paper left over, i'll make into solid balls, squeeze out all the water, and they're great for starting a fire once dried.

I dont use glossy magazine paper though, as this tends not to burn too well...i just stick to newspapers.
When winter finally arrives, (soon by the looks of it), i'll have enough for a few weeks at least, and while the fires burning, i'll have some more made, drying out by THAT fire too. :reindeer:
Everything can be used for something..never throw owt away!

cuttertree
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

They are a sod to dry out. An airing cupboard is handy. They are handy way to get re-use from newspapers. I get the neighbours to save all their papers for me. They kick out a surprising amount of heat. Very good value for money!!

Ellendra

When my brother and I used to make paper logs, we just rolled the sheets of paper tightly and tied them with a bit of string. No drying, no fuss. Even had a hand-cranked gadget to do it with.

Wonder if we still have that . . . .

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oh this is a billiant idea. What do these things look like? Website anyone? We're going back to UK for a few weeks in January, so we could try to source one then. This would be rgeat as we'll have two stoves to run.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

prison break fan

Hi Nikki, We got our log maker mail order from Coopers of Stortford. I expect they have a web site. I think we paid about £20 for it, which seemed a lot, but has been well worth it. pbf

howie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There are instructions in the John Seymour Self Sufficiency book for making paper logs using old oil/fat. Looks like you just need an old biscuit tin!
Psychological tale of love, music and self-sufficiency: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-is-the-Co ... 123&sr=1-1

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

i like the sound of paper logs,we burn a fire in the evening and have a solid fuel stove too stove in the dining area,at the moment we burn firelogs and when they die out top up with coal and wood,i wonder where in Ireland i could source the gadget you mention? :flower:

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks pbf.

I've taken a look at various photos online and it seems one thing that can easily be made at home. I think just some sort of tin, as howie mentions. And perhaps a tight-fitted disc thingy with a handle to push down.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.

confused
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i bought mine on e-bay, i also use 1pint milk cartons with the top cut of and a couple of slots cut in it to let the water squeeze out , i use a g cramp to squeeze them , the more you can squeeze them the better they are , a wee tip is when you are soaking the paper which i do in a fifty gallon drum! i put a 15p bottle of bleach in the water ,it helps the paper break down. I have also started using 2litre plastic bottles with the bottoms cut of ( i use these as clotches in the garden in spring) they dry out ok if you stack them where there is good draught blowing through, the dried log just pushes out quite easy . i'm working on an idea to make a bottle holder from a 4inch plastic pipe with a long handle press to squeeze them.

GabrielGadfly
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How long do these burn, though? I would think that a paper log would burn down to ash much quicker than a wood log. I guess if you have enough supplies, you could make plenty of logs, but it seems like you'd be doing a lot of work to keep your fire going. Or am I just missing something?
The Gadfly Revolution - Humans becoming human.

confused

GabrielGadfly wrote:How long do these burn, though? I would think that a paper log would burn down to ash much quicker than a wood log. I guess if you have enough supplies, you could make plenty of logs, but it seems like you'd be doing a lot of work to keep your fire going. Or am I just missing something?
you are correct, it keeps you occupied ! i'm lucky that i have space to do this in a big shed ,on wet days when i'm not able to get on with much else , i use the "logs" for my patio heater/bbq, the rest i trade /barter ,wiith a friend for fruit/veg.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

The other reason we do it is they're acceptable in "smokeless" zones & hubby, daughter & her b/f catch different buses...loadsa Metros! (free papers).

btw we dry ours in the polytunnel

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!