Freezer bag alternatives?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Freezer bag alternatives?

using old bread bags and takeaway tubs though - its like when we started using proper bags for the shopping instead of plastic bags - we ended up running out of bin bags...

don't get me wrong - we ended up buying bin bags and we do buy freezer bags but I'm so curious about alternatives.

what about fabric - old sheets, towels etc? Would that work instead of newspaper or wax paper?

Might give it a go and report back...

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

I put portions in freezer bags then put the bags in big freezer boxes to keep like with like.

It's not worth skimping on freezer packaging; hard won crops and expensive purchases can lose flavour, texture and nutritional value if not packaged properly. Need airtight packaging to avoid freezer burn, colour loss and undesirable flavour transfers!
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

crowsashes

i use baking paper, its great for wrapping cuts of meat and fish and when defrosted you can use the paper the meat was frozen in to cook it on. ive never had any problems and it makes cleaning the baking trays much easier :thumbright:

for everything else i have a stash of old takeaway tubs with regards to chemicals in plastic, if i remember rightly it only becomes a problem when you heat them up. so instead of microwaving in the plastic tub, transfer it to a glass dish instead.

citizentwiglet

Yep, take-away tubs in this house too. Also, the old Vitalite tubs were great, but they've stopped making them now. Bread bags, greaseproof paper, pretty much anything, really. Sauces and small quantities get put into those wee plastic 'nuby' pots you always have billions of when you have babies of weaning age. (I have also discovered that the long-handled weaning spoons are great for transplanting seedlings, and make great dibbers. They are also good for poking odd megabloks out from under the freezer / washing machine)......
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I wash out any freezer bags I use so they get used plenty of times.

tizzy
Tom Good
Tom Good

I wash and reuse plastic bags too. It looks like widow twankeys wash-house above the kitchen sink some days. I bought a couple of packs of really strong ones with zip tops to use over and over for my bread and freeflow veg. They're indestructible. I don't write on them any more for the same reason.
Currently steaming and freezing the remains of the tattie crop into frozen chips and roasties so they're getting used for those too.
I bought loads of plastic food boxes to store dry goods in so that we don't get mice, but they can be used as well as long as you are gentle removing the lids when they've just come out of the freezer.
Perhaps you could freeze your sausages portioned up in greaseproof paper and then stacked in plastic tupperware type boxes. They would stack nicely in the freezer.

Daveswife
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

If you have friends who enjoy a take-away meal ask them to save the containers. I acquired a stack and they are the perfect size for a one-person portion of stew, for example, and they stack really well in the freeer.
"If you've got the fabric, I can run something up for you."