Guess what I found in my garden?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Guess what I found in my garden?

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 am

Thomzo wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:The only thing I find in my garden apart from bloody stones and rocks :banghead: are a load of old rusty nails and hinges in my veg patch from the previous owner's habit of burning old doors in his fireplace then no doubt chucking the ash over the veg patch. :roll:

Ooops guilty of that one. Not so much old doors but random bits of skipwood with all sorts of rubbish stuck in it. :oops:

I leave them there though Zoe cos I think I've read that old nails and stuff like that add iron to the soil - or maybe I'm just lazy! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)

http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Bikil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 40° 46' N
longitude: 111° 58' W

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow, I feel so boring. All we've ever found are metal loops someone used to keep the hoses tied down.

Now the carrot patch smells outrageously like cat pee, but I don't really count that as a fun found item, heh.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
- Douglas Adams

Big Al

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:17 pm

guess what I found in my garden t'other day.?? http://www.flickr.com/photos/29271961@N05/4869222045/
[size=150]Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:24 pm

Wow! :icon_smile:

prison break fan

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 am

That's fabulous, and a lovely photo!! pbf.

Stovvie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:20 am

I found a Nissan Hut in my garden and would like to give it to a good home for a small price. :flower:
I think this would be great if it can be re-used again - any ideas how to sell it?

Thomzo

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Stovvie wrote:I found a Nissan Hut in my garden and would like to give it to a good home for a small price. :flower:
I think this would be great if it can be re-used again - any ideas how to sell it?

Flea bay?

For some reason, my garden is now growing golf balls. They are literally popping out of the grass, a new one appears every other day. I think it might have something to do with the previous owner being a keen golfer and two new kittens foraging under the undergrowth.

:dontknow:

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

pelmetman

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 pm

When we moved here the front garden had been landscaped and there was very little in the back which we thought great a blank canvas :mrgreen: It turned out the reason there was very little in the back garden was because the grass covered 10" of hardcore :angryfire:

We dug out one small border and removed 4 tons of rubble :banghead: Fortunately we were buying more land from the farmer and I had to just design the garden round the hardcore :banghead:

We later found out our house was built on a former lorry park, not what you expect in the middle of nowhere :dontknow:

I bet no one else has had to plant a clematis with a bolster and chisel :angryfire:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:36 am

pelmetman wrote:I bet no one else has had to plant a clematis with a bolster and chisel :angryfire:

Dave :pirate:

Actually..... :mrgreen: we almost did - put up a new archway over an existing path but as usual round here the grass has crept in over the initial hardcore and the non existant gravel of the path is pretty much covered up with all the stuff that falls from the trees and moss etc over the years ..... so upon digging a nice neat square either side of the arch/path to plant a rose on one side and a clemmy on the other we discovered all the missing hardcore/gravel that should be on the surface of the path (and its original width!)...... took some bloody digging that did! :lol:

Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 am

We recently dug up a clock attached to a picture of the Kaba in Mecca: dread to think what is further down as the garden we are clearing has been used, for over thirty years, by the previous owner to dump remaining items after his tenants have flitted. I hope we find a coop and a colony of lost chickens in there, somewhere.
Sarah
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

flowertotmum

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:32 pm

:wave: ..can't be as bad as finding a couple of bags of dirty knickers..we dug that little treasure up when we moved in our house :pukeright: ...obviously the previous tenant had no washing machine :roll: ...

spider8

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:26 pm

In one garden of an RAF married quarter we were digging over an area to be a tiny herb bed. Dave came upton a plastic bag and, thinking the worst (although who'd be daft enough to bury a pet in a plastic bag!) he gently investigated. It turned out to be a car oil tin with the side cut out that someone had used to do an oil change with! :scratch: Some people are so lazy and stupid :roll: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:35 pm

some 25+ yrs ago, not long after we had moved into this house the kids were bored & whiny one day so i suggested we went to dig for buried treasure (the garden needed digging over!) To my surprise, not very far down, we struck something solid. It took a while to excavate - but eventually we unearthed an intact old stone sink! Not quite the buried treasure the kids hoped for -but a lovely find anyway! It makes a lovely flower trough next to the back door :)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 am

We recently dismantled a very old, compacted and apparently untouched compost heap in a corner of the garden. Apart from mega dandelion roots, which OH dispatched for fear of me trying to make coffee again :lol: we found a lovely dinner plate with not a mark on it! It had obviously been thrown on the heap with its contents and then covered up :dontknow:

Anyway, as it's slightly smaller than ours, my mother has been happily eating off it for the last week or so :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 am

Ha ha I know that teaspoons miraculously disappear regularly into the kitchen bin (well there's no other explanation :iconbiggrin: ) but to manage to lose a plate into the compost heap is a tad odd. They obviously didn't like their dinner that night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”