composting tea bags

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: composting tea bags

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:32 pm

SusieGee wrote:Reading this when it was first posted made me re-evaluate the teabag/loose tea situation and I decided to try loose again. I can't believe the difference in the end result, drinking tea has now become a real treat again - the flavour is so much nicer somehow and I have one of those little nylon sieve thingys that slots into the teapot so you just drain it and shake into the compost

I've been using a cotton one for years - always bought in Germany, because I never saw them here! The only thing to beware of - occasionally I forget to empty it straight away. It does start to get mouldy after a while... Yuck. But they can be washed in the machine.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

dave45

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:32 am

I've been composting t-bags for decades with no ill effects - never really noticed anything odd in the output. Its certain kitchen rolls that are a problem! The paper rots away leaving an indestructible fibrous mass.... keep digging bits of this stuff up even though we swapped to pure paper rolls several years ago.

Big Al

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:35 pm

you could always tear the bags open and use the tea leaves and then recycle the bags if you want. Well that's what i do anyway.
[size=150]Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Treelover
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 0

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

i keep tea bags in summer for a few days to use to slap damp on sunburn - i only have to look outside to catch a freckle and by the time i've turned round i burn, and however careful you are it CAN happen - so that is another use for them! very soothing, though you do end up with a tea-coloured false tan..... i've never had any trouble with teabags breaking down.

Lentil

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I have always had problems with tea bag remains in my compost, but always tear the bag, which helps.
I have been tipping out the tea into the wormery and had only today wondered if they would digest the bags: No need to experiment now as you have given me my answer, thanks!

P.S. I empty the tea out for my own very weak black tea and use the bags for Bouquet Garni etc. and to strain small amounts of wine dregs etc.

Return to “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”