Using cold coffee?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Using cold coffee?

Mrs H wrote:Ok so am I being a bit blonde here?!? R u trying to say that I can recycle my coffee grounds and use it to run my landrover? X

Obviously you need to drink a fair bit of coffee first, and Nescafé doesn't count. In fact, Nescafé isn't even coffee :mrgreen:

If you want to make biodiesel on any great scale, a source of used oil is a big benefit. If you have a chippy locally they might be able to help. There are plenty of guides out there on the interwebthingie, but one tip is that ethanol (drinking & rubbing alcohol) works in place of methanol, and might be easier to get hold of. Methanol is nasty stuff.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

... but, on a domestic scale, hardly worth considering apart from scientific interest. Unless, of course, you go through 100 gallons or so of coffee per day. The amount of energy you'd have to put in to recover the coffee oil from your coffee grounds, Mrs H, would far exceed the value of the oil.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:... but, on a domestic scale, hardly worth considering apart from scientific interest. Unless, of course, you go through 100 gallons or so of coffee per day. The amount of energy you'd have to put in to recover the coffee oil from your coffee grounds, Mrs H, would far exceed the value of the oil.

Mike
+1 EROEI is very low if not negative for (most) biodiesel
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

mzkynd
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

oldjerry wrote:Or open a bottle of Marsala,and make TIRAMASU......then invite me round....! Best Wishes.
this!!
i have always just poured my cold coffee into a plant, houseplant or outside, somewhere along the way heard old wives tale that it was good for them, and haven't seen otherwise. :)

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can this work with lard from pig fat?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I saw an article about a two fellas who start a company recycling coffee grounds to grow mushrooms, picking up a few green awards on the way.

Sounds like a great idea - anyone know how to do this. I can't believe it's as simple as just putting spawn in old grounds, or is it? :dontknow:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

bonniethomas06

Sorry to take the conversation in a totally different direction but as an aside...I don't put my coffee granules on the heap anymore - or use them as a slug deterrant. I found out that although they do kill slugs, they also kill worms too. So not good for a compost heap.

Don't know whether coffee liquid would have the same affect though.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com