sewing excitement

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
fluffy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

sewing excitement

Well I am in a state of excitement at the moment... I have got a sewing machine and am just starting to learn how to use it. I have been inspired by a number of members on this forum and the clothes they create out of old duvet sheets, cot covers and just about any kind of material.

I wanted some new clothes so on a limited budget decided to just shop in the charity shops, I got 3 dresses, 1 t shirt, 1 shirt, 1 pair of trousers, 1 coat, 3 bobbins for my sewing machine, a piece of nice material to make a skirt with, labels and permanent marker (for school uniform) and my bargain find The hamlyn basic guide to machine sewing all for £29.00!!!!

Instead of throwing out some trousers that I had i dyed them and rehemmed them, rehemmed a top I didn't wear and adjusted a dress that I had never worn cause it didn't fit!

I am so pleased with myself I just wanted to share. I am going to try and teach my self to sew properly and never throw anything out again!

Fluffy
x

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: sewing excitement

fluffy wrote:Instead of throwing out some trousers that I had i dyed them and rehemmed them, rehemmed a top I didn't wear and adjusted a dress that I had never worn cause it didn't fit!

I am going to try and teach my self to sew properly

Fluffy
x
Blimey - I hate to think what you're going to achieve when you can sew 'properly'. Watch out Mrs F - looks like you've got a rival. :lol:

Seriously, that's brilliant. You've achieved masses already. I look forward to seeing the pics when you're ready.

Zoe

Helsbells

Wow, well done and good for you, keep it up.

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think that's brilliant - being able to sew can feel so empowering and open up loads of creative and thrifty opportunities. As well as altering charity shop finds, you can often find interesting bits of fabric there too. Enjoy your amazing new wardrobe!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Excellent :cheers: love making things last longer / remaking, leftovers can become patchwork or rag rugs too :wink:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

fluffy

Thanks for all your replies :)

Well I got a pattern for a straight skirt off my mum today and she said one day she will come round and help me do it so I am looking forward to that. I can't wait to get my hands back on my sewing machine and yes Yvette that's what I thought altering charity clothes if they are a bit big or whatever. I don't mind giving it a go if I haven't spent a lot on it.

A pair of trousers I got for a £1 said an 8 on them but when I got them home they are far too big so that is going to be a real job, my first project because I am going to try and take them apart resize them and put them back together and if it doesn't work so what! they were only £1.

La la la, I love my sewing machine.

Fluffy
x

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Fluffy that's great,I started just like you when I was a bored.16 year old just moved to the country with my parents,I was broke so mum taught me to sew,raided her fabric box and I never looked back.I have a craft stall now and I make clothes for my daughters and me,things for the home or presents it is a fab pastime and has always made me feel selfsufficient.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

started off pretty much the same while at school i walk out of my needle work class almost every week with a new item of cloths lots from remakes of jumble sale stuff that only cost 5p brought my first sewing machine when i was 14 from paper round money ans stll got it
would never be with out it

well done you
Darn that Wabbit

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

I- had my first sewingmachine for christmas when i wasabout 8. My mam never really showed me how to use so I never really made clothes, etc. When my mother in law decided to part with hers a few years ago I became quite interested again. I have madea t-shirt from scratch using a pattern tha tI bought half price. I have also started quilting. Forour most recent baby Imademy ownbaby slings and wraps. For my mothers last birthday I made my first hand bag. I amhoping to use it more and start upcycling clothes.

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Awwww, that's so nice to hear Fluffy! My hubby bought me a sewing machine for Christmas, I love mine too! it opens up a whole world of things you can make! Some great sites on the net for inspiration :iconbiggrin:

wolfhazel
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

Well done hun! I keep meaning to go to my local charity shops and see what I can get for my money there but I haven't needed too yet...

on a slightly relate point, I'm also sewing happy... I haven't got a machine and I've always considered myself quite rubbish at sewing but hear me out...

I have two young children and rather than giving away all of their old clothes I considered what else I could use them for... Got out my needle and threads and I have so far made a little handbag for my youngest daughter and I'm in the process of making a patchwork apron for my eldest who loves to help mummy in the kitchen :D

I'm so proud of my work, especially as I did it all by hand and it looks pretty darn good if I may say so myself :D
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com

fluffy

Wolfhazel that is so great:)

When we were young my mam and dad had no money at all and my mam used to make all our clothes, but she says the price of material now is so expensive if you don't find a bargain that it is often cheaper to buy!

We recently got a dog and i made him a bed cover out of an old dressing gown that belonged to my husband and a bed sheet that had seen better days. I was quite impressed with my recycling, I fancy a treadle sewing machine now so that it uses no electricity, but have heard they are quite hard to get the hang of. I wish there were sewing classes near me *sigh*.

Fluffy
x

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

clever clogs! my 100 year old hand wheel singer is a treasured possession, given to me by my first love for my 20th and still absolutely no problems. it will trundle through everything and does leather and layers of denim like a trotian. so i think getting an old treadle or hand wheel machine is a great idea.

as an aside, when i was in brighton in the spring i noticed the All Saints clothing shop had floor to ceiling display of old sewing machines!! do all their shops have those or just bton? they should be being used by the fluffies of the country!

good luck with your projects fluffy! would love to see some pics.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

fluffy - keep an eye on Freecycle. I got my treadle sewing machine from it. It belonged to an old man who told me that his wife had made everything for the family on it, but she died 20 years ago so he wanted to give it to someone who was going to make use of it.

I sent him an email explaining my deep deep love for antique machines (I really don'y get on with modern machines) and he gave it to me.

Try making some Pyjama trousers. Trousers were the first thing I learnt to make. Just get some PJ trousers that are comfy, fold them in half and lay them on the fabric. Cut 4 leaving a seam allowance. The sew the crotch together first, then the inside legs and finally the outside legs. Then fold over the top (leave about 1" fold) and sew. Thread some elastic through and make elasticated trousers, or some nice cord to make drawstring trousers. Then hem the bottoms of the legs, put on and dance around the house!

Good luck with your sewing endeavours!

fluffy

Fee fairy what a fabulous idea for the pj's I love wearing jamas.

While I was out with my mam today I noticed 2 old machines (Jones and singer adapted for electricity) in a secondhand shop saying they were fully serviced. I went in and asked them if they ever got treadle machines in, they said YES, their reconditioning/servicing man was working on one now. So I asked could I leave my number and would they ring me when he was done. They promised that they would, but I am still going to pop in on saturday incase they have forgotten about me. I am again very excited!

Fluffy
x