Can I run radiators with my solid fuel Rayburn Royale?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
highhopes
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Can I run radiators with my solid fuel Rayburn Royale?

Hi
I have recently moved in to a home with a solid fuel rayburn. It heats my hot water and it seems such a waste having all that hot water only being used for a bath a day and a bit of washing up! I wondered if it was possible to run a couple of radiators from it and how easy it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I want to be ready for next winter as there is no central heating currently, just the rayburn, an open fire and a couple of electric radiators to keep us warm!

prison break fan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Can I run radiators with my solid fuel Rayburn Royale?

Hi Highhopes, can't help you with the technical side, but can tell you I have a solid fuel Rayburn and run three rediators from it. When it is really cold, it takes a lot of fuel, but I wouldn't be without it. I mostly burn foraged wood on it but to keep it in overnight it needs a shovel full of "nubbins". pbf.

oldjerry

Simple answer,Yes. Get a 'bloke' to checkout it's serviced,etc (or better still do it yourself).Deduce the year it was made(lots of websites will help),this will help you find the output in btus.They made the royal for decades but I think the output varied. Anyhow,if you stick a small electric pump on it it will run(from personal experience) at least 7 big rads.

highhopes
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you....will investigate further!

highhopes
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My detective work has deduced it is an early model (drop down handles). The rayburn website claims an approximate output of 100,000 btu's with 24 hours continuous burning .
Anyone have an idea of cost ? I'm only a tenant so not really looking to spend shed loads but want to be warm this winter!

boboff

Someone on here has done it cheaply, but you need to be a plumber or decent with DIY.

You need an open system, so think about the loft, a small tank with water in, pipes coming down to your Rayburn, through the boiler bit at the back then the hot water going through pipes and radiators with the last pipe going back in the loft and into the filler tank again, like a loop.

I am with Tony though and I probably have no idea what I am talking about!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

2nd hand rads are dead cheap/free.The new pipe system can run hot water through plastic pipe with snap on fittings..ie. no more pissing about with copper and solder.You'll need a sparkie to wire in the (cheap) pump,but that shouldn't be a big deal.Google about,there's loads of stuff,if your not too worried re the aesthetics,it's emminantly doable.
Oh,and if you've power enough for a spare rad,stick one on a convenient (outside) wall,then surround that ,at your leisure with a homemade lean to greenhouse!