dog crap on freecycle

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

dog crap on freecycle

Well not exactly but here's what happened.
A local freecycler keeps chickens and puts the muck up for collection and I duely collected. She said that if I wanted any more she would give me an e-mail. She did and I went round a second time. This time she said that the chicken muck was in the bin as usual and that she had topped it up with all the stuff the dog had produced as well. Now I'd always been told that dog and cat muck aren't any good in the garden. Ok so she tipped most of the dog muck out although I still had to pick some out. At the moment the mixture is still in the bags.
Now looking around tinterweb I found a thread on the humanure website that deals with dog waste and some use it by precomposting it first.
Has anyone tried it, heard of anyone doing it or have any comments at all.

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/messages/
and the humanure site
http://humanurehandbook.com/
by the way to all the lads on here check out the "women of manure" calander :iconbiggrin:

Pete

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: dog crap on freecycle

I put a small amount of dog shit in the chickens scrating pen

High in phosphates apparently

There is a crowd in the UK somewhere that makes bio-gas from dog shit from parks etc
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally, I think she's taking the piss

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh no it was all very dry so she must have kept the piss.

AlexSBayley
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My understanding is that dog and cat feces may contain parasites that also affect humans, and that if you put it in your veg garden there's a risk you'll pick up those parasites. Hot composting is meant to kill them, I think, but I'm no expert -- just vaguely remembering some stuff I read a while ago.

boboff

Feed it to the Slugs, its the only thing they eat I agree with!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

AlexSBayley wrote:My understanding is that dog and cat feces may contain parasites that also affect humans, and that if you put it in your veg garden there's a risk you'll pick up those parasites. Hot composting is meant to kill them, I think, but I'm no expert -- just vaguely remembering some stuff I read a while ago.
Yeah pretty much what I was taught although the link does talk of pre composting before adding to everything else .
Boboff, no disrespect but I'm trying to discourage the slugs rather than feed them , they're fat enough as it is thank you very much :lol:
To be honest what I've done now is to tip the two bags around my almond tree in the front garden along with some rotted grass cuttings. It was mainly chicken muck , some dog but I wasn't going to search through it with the proverbial fine toothed comb and anyway the tree doesn't have much on it this year which greatly reduces any chance of the nasties getting me.

Pete

wattreesmassive
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi,
As we have 6 dogs we have plenty of dog erm poo??? to deal with,the first thing we tried was a wormery dog loo,this worked ok but obvioulsy with the amount produced it was a slow process especially as we didnt have ahuge amount of worms! Next we hit on the humanure idea {we now have composting toilets and that works a dream!} and hot compost the poo,putting the finished results on non edible trees,trhe main pathnogen you have to watch ut for is Toxoplasmosis which can survive in the ground for quite some time,if the dogs are wormed then you shoould be ok but hot composting destroys a deal of the nasties,dont use the resulting compost for a year,I.e keep the vessels sealed for a year and then spread. In my humble opinion though the lady is using you to rid herself of some unwanted,unpleasant waste! Hope some of this helps!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

wattreesmassive wrote:Hi,
In my humble opinion though the lady is using you to rid herself of some unwanted,unpleasant waste!
In all fairness to her I think she genuinely didn't know and just assumed all waste was ok to use. She did tip a lot of the dog waste out of the bin and apologised for her mistake. Thanks for posting and telling how you deal with yours.

Pete

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I read of a method once that had you put a plastic colander-type of container in the ground, poured something on, then it would compost in the ground and seep out directly into it. I think, as dog poo contains meat materials, it can also attract vermin - so I heard, anyway. Are my pets' poos on the flower beds the reason why I have some sort of fungus growing there? It's a browny colour mushroom that grows close to the soil, not an obvious stem, and then it breaks open at the top.