Out of date jams and pickles.

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Out of date jams and pickles.

I've probably mentioned that I work as a handyman and do almost anything really, sort of a cross between handy Andy and Del Boy, and recently did a clearance for a stall holder. Part of the "rubbish" was several crates of jars containing a variety of stuff from jams, pickles , mustard , chutney , lemon curd and horseradish sauce and a few other similiar types of thing.Now it's all out of date , hence the reason it was lumped in with the other rubbish , not that I'd be worried about eating jam a bit out of date but as it's all been outside for quite some time most of the lids are rusty so consumption is not really on the cards.
However, I hate waste.
So I was thinking of other uses. Composting it did spring to mind but would such material readily compost? Would the acid and sugar (and probably salt) completely stop any form of decomposition or is there anything else I could do with the stuff? I'm open to any suggestions other than " chuck it in the bin" if it's possible.
Thanks

Pete

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Out of date jams and pickles.

you can compost all that stuff, won't hurt at all and will break down, it's all organic material at the end of the day

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Glad to hear that it should compost . I thought it probably would what with it being organic matter . I was thinking the vinegar may inhibit the process or maybe the end result would be overly acid although I suppose I could mix in some lime to counteract that.
So do you suggest just mixing it with the regular contents of my heap or should I perhaps try composting it on its own?

Pete

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

just stick it in and mix it up with your regular stuff, if you have a few bits of sawdust or wood ash mix that in with it, or some shredded paper, just to soak it up a bit, the only problem you might encounter is that mice and rats might want to eat it

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've had rats and mice in the past and some quite recently. I'd prefer not to have them but at least they stay by the heap rather than trying to come in the house although they do run around my wood stacks pissing and shitting all over it which irritates me a bit. Still I'll probably still add the stuff to the pile although I will probably pour off some of the vinegar first. I may also keep back a jar of jam in case I need to make a trap for flies and wasps in the summer.

Pete