Coffee jars

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

Coffee jars

I love my coffee so have saved all the jars to use as plant pots just the right size for a lettuce or herbs and the glass really helps hold in the heat.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Coffee jars

What do you do about drainage?

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

I never put holes in maybe just some sand/gravel in the bottom so they need less water - everything does okay.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

maple
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 9
Facebook Name: dont use it

must try that , my oh is a coffee drinker...good idea !

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not coffee jars but my local has started using those single serving jam jars full of beer next to the pumps. It's because a lot of the customers prefer a darker beer or vice versa and can see at a glance the colour of whatever's on that day . They still do samples as well though.
Speaking to the landlady she scrounged a couple of dozen of these jars from a cafe as they were all destined for the bin.

sususanan

According to this site, you could sell your jars if you had enough of them - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/famil ... h-for-cash

Flo

There are some funny comments over on one of the chat forums on the site though. People didn't think it was generally a going idea.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

We generally reuse jars for jams , chutney and so on. However , with reference to the actually selling of rubbish in that link we have sold milk bottle tops , the plastic ones. My wife had seen something about it some time ago and tried it and sold a carrier bag full for a tad over £7 . They were just mixed colours but I have a suspicion that a full bag of red i.e. skimmed milk bottle tops could be better still as these are definitely rarer than the much more common green or purple semi and blue full fat types.
However , that said the real killer to this market is postage. It really needs to be on a collection only basis as one soon finds that the cost of postage far exceeds the value of the goods being sent.