Envelopes and stuff

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Envelopes and stuff

Just thought I'd share -
We use the pre-addressed envelopes that come thru the post with credit cards etc to keep seeds from the pumpkins etc to plant next year. Just lick, stick and label and hey presto - instant seed packets!!
I've also taken to politely swiping several of the large paper carrier bags from shops to store the recycling stuff in til' we get round to taking it out to the bin.
I'd love to hear of any other things I can do with household rubbish, we can recycle lots but stuff like marge containers can't go in the mingle bin and I hate throwing them out - so apart from the obvious one of keep them to put portions of soup in to freeze - what else can we do?
And plastic carrier bags drive me crazy!! We do line small bins with them and take them to the shops with us to re-use - but I swear they breed in the bag holder - what else can we do with them?
I'd love to be able to reduce the amount of stuff we throw out!!
Helen and Chris
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

red

charity shop

I have yet to work out how to take load of clothes to the charity shop without using a plastic bag. still they reuse them there.. so thats something. Thats the only way they seem to be leaving this house now...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

During the spring I save up the plastic wrapping you get on veg etc and use it as mini proporgators (how do you spell that). Wrap it over a plant pot and stick an elastic band round it.

The recent wine making an pickling has given me a use to all the bottles and jars that I have lying around. I realised that I had not thrown out a screw top bottle or jar in the last few years and as such had more than enough.

I like the idea of reusing the envelopes we seem to get loads and I am never sure if you can recycle them due to the gummy bit on the envelope.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Stonehead

Andy Hamilton wrote:The recent wine making an pickling has given me a use to all the bottles and jars that I have lying around. I realised that I had not thrown out a screw top bottle or jar in the last few years and as such had more than enough.
We have more bottles than we know what to do with thanks to relatives and neighbours donating theirs, but strangely we never have enough brown beer bottles...

PurpleDragon

Stonehead wrote:We have more bottles than we know what to do with thanks to relatives and neighbours donating theirs, but strangely we never have enough brown beer bottles...
Bu***r - I just chucked brown bottles into the recycling. Sorry :oops:
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

islanz
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rubbish is such an interesting topic!

I am really keen on ways to cut down on what we throw out too. I know I am doing better than some, but could be doing heaps better! We keep all our bottles and containers and eventually most of them are used a few times before they make it to the recycling bin or unfortunately just the bin.

I guess the best way to throw less out is to consume more so I am thinking a lot more carefully about the things I buy. We throw out a lot of cans (mostly tinned tomatoes and cat food), and also cat food sachets - not sure what we can do about that, don't want to create a fussy eater by feeding her fresh meat all the time.

Plastic from meat is also a problem, but we try to go to the butcher and buy bigger packs and freeze some (in plastic containers). The polysytrene trays on meat make me really mad! - we tried saving them but couldn't wash them properly so they just ended up a stinking mess!

Plastic bags are awful too but on a personal scale I think they are quite easy to dramatically cut back on. I always carry a cloth bag around with me.

I would love any more ideas on rubbish!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Marge tubs:

Freezing stuff (as you already do).
Greenhouse tubs.
Growing tubs generally
Plant saucers for things you grow in pots with drainage holes in the bottom.
Drawer separators
Stacking storage in a cupboard
Storage for toys/beads/barbie clothes and shoes/lego toys (keep complete kits together in a cupboard, or box)

Maybe this should be in 101 uses for...

*toddles off to start a new thread*

Daisy's Mum
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

We have a rather unique way of recycling all our 'over sexed' carrier bags - we cut them up into strips, form them into one long string and either crochet or knit them into shopping bags! When they are finally on their last legs, they can be thrown into one of those carrier bag recycling bins that you get outside supermarkets.

It certainly makes for a productive thing to do when you are sat by the fire on these long evenings - and if you can mix funkier coloured bags with the other predominately white bags they can look pretty good too. I have made a few as presents before now.

Lorna x
That's the trouble with Do It Yourself - Sometimes it goes and does it back! - Tom Good

mountain mist
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Plastic grocery bags

Many years back when moving I started to make rope from plastic bags . The bags were the only thing that wasn't packed , As the tape and string some how got packed I started wraping mirrors in cardboatd and tied with bag rope . The carpets were tied up with this rope too . Carring handles were easy enough to make too .

Draw out bag from bottom to top , releasing the air . Put a few fingers through the handle holes . Flip around till you have a double slip knot . Slip over the bottom of the next bag and pull it tight . Continue till you have a rope to the length you need .

This rope could also be used to tie up News Papers . For you strong guys ; make a 15ft. rope , double it once or twice and try pulling it apart .
Many other uses I'm sure .
Mike
As the Sun makes it new

Day by Day make it new

And again , make it new

Shirley

What a great idea Mike! We don't get many plastic bags these days, and those that we do get are the biodegradable type from the co-op so I don't imagine they would last too long as rope - but long enough to do the job that's required of them I imagine.

:welcomeish: - it's great to have you here.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mountain mist
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Plastic grocery bags

Most of the plastic bags here are recyclable but not bio degradeable . When I finish with the plastic bag rope it goes to a recycling center in a nearby town .

A friend of Frugal Living forum gave this rope many test including tying camping gear to the roof of a car , and passed most tests . Too much exposure to sunlight will break it down however .

Morning Mist
As the Sun makes it new

Day by Day make it new

And again , make it new

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't figure out the plastic bag rope :( ... Am I being thick?? :?

Help me please

I think its a great idea but have been amusing my baby for the last 20 mins messing about with scrunchie bags (evidently a great spectator sport for a 4 month old)

Cheers

Ann

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

i get jewellery from a company that send it in a zip-lock bag, and then they put each separate item in another zip0lock bag.
I use those for my seeds.

mountain mist
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Bag rope

Hey ! To get the air out of the bag , you first grab the bottom of the bag at the center with a thumb and forefinger of the left hand . With the right hand you circle your left thumb and forefinger with your right thumb and forfinger and draw the air out towards the top ( handle part ) .

Have paitiance !

Now with the bag collapsed you put your right thumb and forefinger into the two handle holes spreading your fingers a little bit . Now you pull slightly downward with left hand . Roll your hand downward and let your two fingers meet . With left hand pull dowm the top two strands of plastic . You now have in your hand a double strand slip knot which is put over the bottom of the next collasped bag . Pull till tight . Continue untill desired length is reached .

I hope this helps . I did it with a bag as I wrote this . Good luck !

Mike
As the Sun makes it new

Day by Day make it new

And again , make it new

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

A few years ago I came across Anna Roebuck at Bags2riches http://www.bags2riches.co.uk/. She makes the most amazing jewellery and other stuff from carrier bags. I think you can still send them to her but best check her website first.

I also came across a woman that made door mats out of carrier bags. Cut them into strips and then use the strips to make a rag rug. They look great if you can get coloured bags.

Personally I use mine as bin liners. I also use them to store twigs from the garden as kindling. As I shop at my local co-op the bags are biodegradable and tend to fall apart before I use the twigs :roll:

I have also tried making rope but I did it by cutting the bags into long strips and then twisting into a rope. You can knit with it quite well. I then tried weaving it in and out of the wires of an old lampshade to make a hanging basket but it took ages and I got bored and never finished it.