Frebbie sewing machine

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

I was quite an advocate of getting stuff from the tip until lately. They seem to be ripping you off the prices they want for something that cost them nothing! Wouldn't be so bad if the money went to charity or at least some worthy cause...

Anyway sewing machines, just got 2 off freecycle (couldn't resist, but can't remember how to use a machine either- been 40 yearsplus...)
My father in law used to fix them as a job, but he says you can't get needles for the old singers now. He is going to have a look and see if he can't make one out of the two :?

be nice to have a hand wheel machine :cooldude:
Just Do It!

hamster

I don't know how much use this'll be for your 1950s one, Mrs Flibble, but http://www.treadleon.net/ is a fantastic resource for anyone who has an ancient piece of dusty machinery that needs a bit of love.

This was my birthday present, in the process of being restored.

They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

oo thanks hamster, I'll take a look!

Peggy, you might not be able to get singer needles, but I've found that modern needles fit really well in my old russian baby so maybe try giving that a go? if you have an example of a broken one (top only will work) then you can take it along to compare the size.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

mmmm sew jellous :lol: what dump? i wanna go lol even as a fixer-upper free or a few beers is a snap - ive seen solid rusted ones sell for several 100's of dollars as decorative pieces if they are table mounted esp.
Got a neibourhood workshop/welder - can probably improvise a treddle pedle for you
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

jonny2mad
Tom Good
Tom Good

you can get lots of types of needles for singers on ebay or try http://www.needlebar.org/
some of the singer new family type its hard to get needles for but most of the ones you come across it isnt that hard .

mrsflibble

just putting my feelers out; I need a new sewing machine. my little russian doesn't like modern material, modern thread and I think the foot pedal is about to explode judging by the heat coming off it so if anyone in the south essex, south east Notts or Trobridge area have one to spare I (or my darling aunt or wonderful mum in law) can take it off your hands!!! Can swap for portraits!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

possum

possum wrote:well, i had a closer look at it today and it seems to be missing a foot pedal, unless this model has a nother way or propelling it,

anyone know how to make one?
right after further investigation, it has a knee pedal, never come accross that before

here are a few pictures, if you look at the one from the front you can see the lever for the knee to the right hanging down, the front of the cabinet opens so you could use it more easily.

Image[/url]
Opinionated but harmless

mrsflibble

that has an electric motor. :?

mrsflibble

Sorry, I'm so dim!!! the knee bit makes the motor run, right?! *slaps forhead*

possum

yes the knee bit should make the motor run, currently nothing is happening, i think it might be the motor itself that need replacing - that and the belt which has definitely gone
Opinionated but harmless

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's beautiful!!!

Its got a 50s American Diner look about it (i hope that makes sense...).

Are there any sewing machine servicers near you? there's one near me who almost jumps for joy if you take an old machine in to him!! My dad asked whether it was worth paying for a 1960s singer to be mended, and he almost throttled him!! Apparently these things are worth it whatever the cost.

mrsflibble

Hubby says have you tried taking the motor apart and checking any soldered joints on wire connections? they could just need a bit of re-soldering. Or if it's using something called a spade terminal it could need tightening.
http://www.oxaero.com/Jameco-Terminal-109111.jpg squeeze the big end with pliers.

possum

i haven't yet, that was my next plan, i checked the plug as it is one of the bakerlight type and pretty old, and the connections there were fine.
I need to take the bulb out of my old sewingmachine and put it so i can see if it is getting power at all as i can't tell at the moment

i agree with the 50s american diner thing though, that is what makes me believe it is from that era, i still haven't found out anything about it though
Opinionated but harmless

possum

well, I found the problem. It was called lack of an audience, I asked the FIL to take a look at it, he plugged it in, switched it on, pressed the knee pedal and it worked first time, just need to get a new belt for it now.
Opinionated but harmless

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

possum wrote:well, i had a closer look at it today and it seems to be missing a foot pedal, unless this model has a nother way or propelling it,

anyone know how to make one?
lol just seen this thread and now your latest post - I was going to suggest looking for a knee lever - mine was bought as a table from a second hand shop (the electrics hadn't been tested) I found a local sewing machine engineer who had retired but was still doing some work from home - he fettled it and fitted me a socket and leccy lead for it, he also had the book for it - so I found it threaded in a different direction from all the others :shock:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: