can anyone recommend me a good beginners book for knitting?

By popular demand - The book review section.
Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

can anyone recommend me a good beginners book for knitting?

basically, what the question says! got myself a book from the library the other day and its lovely but i dont know any of the stitches so patterns arent really that useful to me yet! guess i should have properly checked through the book doh! i need something comprehensive but easy to understand, as clearly, i am having a special week :wave: thanks in advance!!

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: can anyone recommend me a good beginners book for knitting?

When I wanted to learn to knit, a few years ago, I sat down with the Ladybird Book of Knitting, which is aimed at seven year olds and has really clear pictures! Another good one, aimed at children, is the Usborne Guide to Knitting. Knit, purl, casting on and off, increasing and decreasing, which is pretty much everything you need to know to get going.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've taught myself via the internet. As well as learning new stitches it's great for free patterns too. Having graduated from knitting a very simple scarf, I'm now knitting socks, where youtube clips were ideal to help me understand tricky bits.

Alternatively go and ask an elderly neighbour.

Susie

Hi - I mostly use Stitch 'n Bitch, and Stitch 'n Bitch Nation (both by Debbie Stoller) for reference - I didn't learn from them but I think I could happily have done, as they cover the basics (Stitch 'n Bitch, the first one, is the one you want). They have a particular style of explaining things though which might not be to everyone's taste, I don't know. The book I used most when I was learning was Debbie Bliss's Step-By-Step Knitting Workbook, that was good too. I think Debbie Bliss is probably the Delia Smith of knitting.

A very useful book I read later on was Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English, I don't think this would be all that good for learning techniques but she is great for making you really understand what you are doing, how patterns can go wrong etc (it is much, much more interesting than I am making it sound. She is like a Knitting Anarchist.) There are also useful articles on techniques at www.knitty.com.

(And now the unsolicited advice. 1/ Have you joined Ravelry (www.ravelry.com)? If you haven't, join now, it is absolutely fantastic, huge amounts of free + cheap patterns, helpful people on the forums with mad knitting skillz etc. 2/ If you are not fixed in a style yet, consider trying to learn continental (holding the wool in your left hand) rather than English (in right hand) as it is supposed to be quicker. (I have a friend who knits like this and she has practically knitted a jumper while i am still casting on. Although it is possible she might just be better at it. :? ))

Good luck, knitting is great, welcome to the fold :cheers:
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

You tube has helped me learn several stitches! The internet is fab and so much easier to follow than a book!

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I taught myself on line too - learn2knit.co.uk has all the basics. I just did a few practice squares then searched "easy knit scarf pattern", picked one and sort of got on with it! A year and a half later and I'm undaunted by any technique, in English, French or Spanish!

I would recommend trying out a range of needle sizes before you choose your first project - I think everyone has a preference, and it is better to know what you are getting yourself into before you are half-way through
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

red

some of the knitting magazines have beginner guides.. might be worth a look.

or you could join a knitting group - my lot are more than happy to show someone new who wants to learn.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Have a look at this UA.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm just putting the first tutorials on my blog, if you're interested. I do recommend internet sources just 'cos they're free, to be honest!

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

StripyPixieSocks

I taught myself from the internet also, it was a bit hard going and confusing at first but after a while you just sort of get the knack and it all makes sense.

Try looking on YouTube for stitch tutorials, often makes more sense when you see someone doing it rather than diagrams and perhaps venture over to Ravelryas there's some really helpful people there and hundreds of patterns and... well... I find it knitting heaven to be honest even for a beginner.

Just one thing though, don't get disheartened if you mess up lots at first, my needles and wool went for a fly lots of times followed by lots of growling nd abuse but even though I started a pair of socks 40 times and only have ONE pair of socks to show for it... they are the best socks I have ever had because I made them!

GOOD LUCK!!! :mrgreen:

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ha! I'm the opposite, I find videos too confusing, and prefer diagrams/photos I can work through at my own pace =o)

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks for all your suggestions guys but i have to agree with brij, i'd muchr rather a book. saves me the bother of switching on the pc. and plus u can sort of cosy up with a book, not so much a screen!! i'm borrowing stitch n bitch off a friend now actually.

NaturalBlue
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 51 36 13
longitude: 1 50 10

Re: can anyone recommend me a good beginners book for knitti

I used Stitch 'n bitch to teach myself... I had some tips from my nan too... finding a local knitting group can be usefull too if you don't know anyone else who knits as it's great to swap ends of wool and pick up stitches and tips from others - I had a nightmare with a lacy edge until someone took it off me and showed me :iconbiggrin:

Good luck x
...um, how can I make that?...