science fiction

By popular demand - The book review section.
fuchsia
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

science fiction

my recent favorite reads have been science fiction but relevant to this forum as they have a common theme of the environment and humanity. the first being Where the Late Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm, written in the 70's and tackles cloning! then the Death of Grass by Samuel Youd (1956)

horticultural books i am currently reading how to create a forest garden and managing soil without chemicals. favourite dip in book Vegetables herbs and fruit, Biggs, McViccar, and Flowerdew.

on the wish list McViccar cooking with herbs, and something about perennial vegetables.

My excuse for having lots of books is that if you pet the shelves on the outside wall of room they will contribute to insulation!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: science fiction

fuchsia wrote:i am currently reading how to create a forest garden
Ooh, ooh, me too!! I treated myself to the Toensmeier and Jacks books earlier this year - both volumes :shock: (I don't do clothes, make-up or going out!)We've spent the last couple of months (foul summer permitting) moving all the raised beds from one side of the house to the other to make room for our forest garden :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Another good ish themed science fiction book is Dies the fire by Bruce Sterling. The later books in the series are more about war (and not so good) but this first book is about the ish people and how they manage to survive the disaster when the others can't.

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do others remember the names of authors recommended to them? I always get to the library and stare blankly at the shelves and cannot remember any of their names. :dontknow: Even the books I have just read...I forget the authors name! :oops: I have just started "writing" it into the notes on my mobile phone which seems to work for me. :cheers: I ahve just written in all the names from this thread and will be off to the library to find the books at the weekend :thumbright:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battybird - you might not find Death of Grass under Samuel Youd. He wrote that under the name John Christopher. Damn good read, though, no matter what name he used.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

battybird

Thanks Mike, will add that to my phone!! :wave:

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

another good book is "earth abides" and another great book is "the family tree" and also for those who need a wake up call "Bloom" and for less sci-fi stuff try this list

http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/200 ... .html#more

there are others but I'll have to look up their titles on my list as I haven't read them in a while.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

george wrote:Another good ish themed science fiction book is Dies the fire by Bruce Sterling. The later books in the series are more about war (and not so good) but this first book is about the ish people and how they manage to survive the disaster when the others can't.
Sorry, I have to correct you there they are written by S M Stirling - the 1st ones are particularly good though.

The hunger games trilogy by Susanne Collins is also particularly good
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

frozenthunderbolt wrote:
george wrote:Another good ish themed science fiction book is Dies the fire by Bruce Sterling. The later books in the series are more about war (and not so good) but this first book is about the ish people and how they manage to survive the disaster when the others can't.
Sorry, I have to correct you there they are written by S M Stirling - the 1st ones are particularly good though.
Oops you are right!

See Battybird we can't remember the names either! I always keep a list of books recommended in my notebook so that I can check for them in the library when I go.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

fuchsia wrote:then the Death of Grass by Samuel Youd (1956)
My favourite book....
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

battybird

george wrote:
frozenthunderbolt wrote:
Oops you are right!

See Battybird we can't remember the names either! I always keep a list of books recommended in my notebook so that I can check for them in the library when I go.
No harm done..have corrected my phone list...been too busy to go to the library!! Its good to know someone else is quietly (??) slipping into memory loss! I have gone from maternal dementia into chemo dementia (from my work!) and now into senile dementia all very seamlessly! :roll: