How I lived on a pound a day for a year

By popular demand - The book review section.
Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

Re: How I lived on a pound a day for a year

baldybloke wrote:
Green Aura wrote:
baldybloke wrote:
Another book and a Youtube clip worth checking out is 'The story of stuff' which I found fascinating.
Oh Yes, the story of stuff! Brilliant little video, I think it needs to be seen by many more people!

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
oldjerry wrote: Personally I think they deserve our thanks for reinforcing the warm glow of superiority we all seem to enjoy so much.
It is quite an interesting book, but I did rather come to the conclusion that while she was living on only a quid of her own, she was spending quite a bit of other peoples' quids - that wine & cheese at gallery openings don't come buckshee (which is fine, not a word of condemnation from this quarter) but does detract from the practical aspects, ie how to make things stretch where ever you are.
That's a good point, I didn't really consider it from that perspective. Similarly, Hitchhiking, while free for the hitchhiker, is not so free for the hitchhikee!

Still, there are plenty of ideas in there for people to try for all sorts of reasons, the most obvious of which are financial and environmental...

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

The feel good factor Herniac Tom. Pure and simple. Oh and if it's my car your are having a free ride in I can bore you shit less with my my twaddle xx
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

baldybloke wrote:

My only real weakness that run contrary to this ideal is books, and I struggle to part with them, convincing myself that I might re-read them sometime in the future.

personally I am a hoarder, and iI seem to go through phases , wont use some things fror a couple years maybe, then regularly for several months.......but books........

welll I have rescued books from skips.. books I would never read, but they are still books. I rarely part with any, though I did get rid of boxes and boxes of paperbacks, before we moved here, but have managed to acquire far more since than I goty rid of! :iconbiggrin:

I seem to get given loads to as it has become known, that I run a rescue home for books! ( I did draw the line at some Mills and Boon, and they promptly got re-homed again!)

anyway build loads of shelves all round the house..... and place books thereon......good insulating properties...... and in total desperation, they can be burnt for heat..but that would ( to me) be a sacrilege ( maybe I dshould have kept the M&B :iconbiggrin: )

Lat year I did a challenge via some other site, to live as cheaply as poss, for a month. Not including normal bills..gas, elec, etc,......... lived off 20 euros a week for about 6 weeks ( half of that was for tobacco), so 1 quid a day.. would be doable... but it does depend how well stocked the kitchen shelves are, etc.... was she taking that into account? It does take some serious adjusting to, and lots of self control too

mmm. think I´ll do it again soon........remind myself, I need to economise!