What are you reading?

By popular demand - The book review section.
trappa
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: What are you reading?

Im reading a book called The penal colony at the moment, just finished the affair by lee child. I read a couple of books a week so always changing.

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How about something completely different and go for an Alan Moore graphic novel. If you've not read a graphic novel before or are skeptical/snobish about this as a genre Alan Moore will change your mind. Ignore the rubbish movies they've made of his work and go for Watchmen, V for Vendetta or From Hell. Don't read Lost Girls if you're at all prudish. I picked it up because it was by him and got a shock (Not that I mind, wink wink nudge nudge and all that!!!)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm reliving my early youth and going through a collection of "the 100 best ever SF novels". It's mostly from the 50s and 60s - the golden age of SF - and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, although there are lots of chuckles at the way "futuristic" technology is described. And I daren't tell anyone here how women are treated in those stories :lol:

When I've finished that lot, I also have "the 100 best ever fantasy novels" to get into.

It'll take some time ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

"The Berry Scene" by Dornford Yates. He might of been a jingoistic, reactionary, nutcase, but he was a great wordsmith.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

My daughter bought me The wild gourmets by Guy Grieves and Thomasina Miers, its a lovely book :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

bonniethomas06

Paulo Cohelio's 'The Zahir'. Amazing, AMAZING book. I just love his slick style and the beautiful way he crafts his sentances. A lot of it I found quite profound...on one level it is about an author whose war correspondent wife goes missing, but it is actually about the state of longing and the real nature of love.

Gosh *removes head from bottom* . Anyway, if this portentious summary hasn't put you off, you are welcome to the book, I can post it to you if you PM me your address.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

oldjerry

Thanks,I'm in the library this afternoon with the kids,I'll see if they've got it,save the postage.And portentious is good.!.

I've read most of the Dornford Yates,yonks ago,inherited them from my dad,he was a big fan.

I really like Mikes idea of 100 best in various genres,and working your way through them, but it would take some time,even the way I read.(average 1-2 novels aweek,and concurrently one 'Tome' a month- currently Michael Carsons 'Serving Suggestions' home of the thought provoking Short Story 'The Punishment of Luxury').

thanks everyone,this thread has really inspired me to look into some stuff I wouldn't have spared a second glance.

Lasagna Raso

I am reading all kind of food blogs, forums and news about soccer, specially today`s el classico when real versus barcelona in the first leg of spanish cup :cooldude:

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

safronsue wrote:Hitchens' God is not Great. love the way he writes and the historical snippets are great.

im reading this too! its fantastic. im glad these kind of books are being written and i hope many more are in the future.
he died recently, he had battled with cancer for a long time, sad.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

trappa

Ive been looking for god is not great, just waiting for a torrent.

trappa

I just finished Grishams 'The Litigators'. Grisham has to be THE best author out there. I cant put his books down.

oldjerry

I've read and comeback to, quite a few of everyones suggestions,thanks to all of you.

Currently I'm reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy(yet again) some Montalbano novel,and 'Biggles Flies South'...it's been a funny old week.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Milims wrote:The Book Thief: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_Thief I always keep a book in the bathroom and this is perfect. It's a good story but structured in such a way that it's easy to pick up and put down :wink:
I couldn't put it down! Have you finished it? I made the OH read it and it got a bit much for him near the end :wink:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've just finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I loved it (not sure what that says about me :lol: )

I've read a couple of the Montalbano books OJ and found them most amusing - much better than the TV adaptation which seem pretty faithful to the storyline without the humour.

I'm currently reading Love over Scotland - Alexander McCall Smith. I think I've read most of his novels, liking some better than others. But I'm starting to think he writes faster than I read though as I seem to have a few to catch up on :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Currently reading Jungle Capitalists (A story of globalisation, greed and revolution) by Peter Chapman. The story of United Fruit domination of the banana trade. Interesting stuff.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?